Sid (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sid stood tall at the Get-A-Grip bike show yesterday and brought home a top twenty award! There were quite a few muscle bikes along with many other great bikes spanning from pre-war to BMX to full-blown customs. The weather was perfect and there were some good deals to be found at the swap meet. The first thing I got was a pair of vintage gold glitter grips to use as a stand-in for the naked handlebars and immediately slid them on for the show.

View attachment 251912

If any of you are looking for a good bike show, forum member @dorr always hosts a great one every first Saturday of November!
I’ll get there one of these years

So you went to Get-A-Grip, and you got... grips! Checks out.
Bicycle synchronicity!

That's awesome! I'll be doing the "grips on Billy Bars" thing shortly with my Rail. The owner who I'm building it for had it that way when he was a kid.

It's a reasonable substitute until the planets align for some tape. As you well know, there were many bikes that were sold this way.

Buzz Bike ad.jpg

I've been sorting all of my bike parts into storage bins lately and last month I noticed this headlight in my pile of lights. The shape of it along with the stacked bulbs just screamed muscle bike to me. When I held it up in front of Sid I was convinced!

Unfortunately there were batteries in it that had leaked and rotted parts of the inside. So behind the scenes last week I took it apart, and cleaned up the rust with navel jelly.
IMG_6317.JPG

IMG_6318.JPG

The lever switch had completely detached due to the rivet being dissolved away by the battery acid. To repair it, I tapped the hole to 4-40 and reattached it with a 4-40 machine screw. To lock-in the bolt with the correct tension on the spring I added a jam nut to the back side. Unfortunately I couldn't find a proper nut in my tiny bolts collection, so I had to resort to making one. It's not very pretty but it works and is inside anyway so it won't be seen.

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6320.JPG

One of the battery contacts was rotted away but I was able to take what was left of it and bend it around to make it work. (I forgot to take a picture of that.)
Much to my surprise, everything worked perfectly with a new pair of batteries. And it's bright!
IMG_6335.JPG

Having the luxury of time left for the all important photo shoot, I rolled Sid out of the shop for some quick test shots with my phone camera. I'm only trying to determine the best angle in advance so that when I decide on a location I won't be wasting time with bad poses.

I'm finding out that it is difficult to frame a good shot due to the tall sissy bar! I ended up with 18 shots and after a quick scroll through, here's one of a few that has potential.

IMG_6359.JPG

Having the luxury of time left for the all important photo shoot, I rolled Sid out of the shop for some quick test shots with my phone camera. I'm only trying to determine the best angle in advance so that when I decide on a location I won't be wasting time with bad poses.

I'm finding out that it is difficult to frame a good shot due to the tall sissy bar! I ended up with 18 shots and after a quick scroll through, here's one of a few that has potential.

View attachment 252036
🔥🔥🔥🔥

Check out this ad for the Swinger.

View attachment 252099

I think that the illustrator who drew this was having some real struggles figuring out what was going on with the handlebars! :21:
Or, if this an early advert, they may actually have used a photo that was later changed before the launch. I used to work for a motorcycle company, and I could always see detail differences between the advertising photos they used of the late development models and the actual bikes sold.

"This bike will not only pop a wheelie, but it will flip you 'the bird' as well."
I can't not see that now. :21:

Or, if this an early advert, they may actually have used a photo that was later changed before the launch. I used to work for a motorcycle company, and I could always see detail differences between the advertising photos they used of the late development models and the actual bikes sold.
There are actually many things that are not quite right in that illustration. :39:

Latest posts

Back