show your home made work stand!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have suffered long enough without a real work stand, and it just wouldn't be the same if i didn't make it..

lets see some pics of your home made stand so I can steal some good ideas!! :lol:

This may sound a little dumb but my stand is a bongo drum stand. Adjustable height. I need to modify the clamp a little to hold the bike better and then it's perfect.
It looks like this one.
255448.png

There are some good ones in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19971
Today I just clamped a piece of1 1/4" square tubing to my welding table and put a towel around it. I could hook the saddle on it or put the frame on it. Not real stable but fine for what I needed.

Being naturally thrifty I am currently building an adapter to turn an old unused engine stand into one using a set of modified pipe clamps and some scrap metal. Will post a pic if I get time to finish it this weekend.

I'm not knocking them if you can afford them but the price of a commercially made stand is outrageous.

A minor miracle happened today, I got a few hours alone in the shop! :mrgreen:
This is what I have been using for atv repair but it's overkill for a bicycle and does not hold it still for sanding
hoist.jpg

Besides every old hot rodder probably has an engine stand somewhere...
enginestand.jpg

Just get a 3/4" pipe clamp setup and modify the clamps with whatever you have on hand. I just happened to have some aluminum plate but wood or plastic works too. Then drive a 1/2 x 13 nut into the pipe end and weld it into place. It helps to put a generous coat of anti-seize on the bolt and leave it in place while welding. If you're using galvanised pipe be sure to remove the galvanizing by either sanding or dipping it in muriatic acid before welding.
nutbolt.jpg

weldnut.jpg

Then bolt it tightly to the engine stand
standcomplete.jpg

And here it is with my latest project clamped in it.

huffstand.jpg

Back