Show Us Your Art! (and other art talk)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good_fertilizer.png

I didn't make it, but I love it
I too love re-use of industrial objects in public places! I'm a bit of a street art scavenger/documentarian. These things started popping up in my area a few years back..
fenceArt_0.jpeg
fenceArt_1.jpeg
fenceArt_2.jpeg

This one's my recent favorite for the time and effort it took to complete without getting caught. Took me a minute to figure out what this person had gone through so much trouble to make till I saw it at the right angle..
PointyThing.jpeg
DangerousObject.jpeg

Had to be an inside job. Guessing security didn't get paid. :21:
CatPortal.jpeg

Last edited:
A conversation with @Ulu made me realize we're chock full of artisans working with our hands so you're probably constantly creative in other ways. I'd love to see what other people have created. Show us what you make when you're not building bikes! As they say, "no wrong answers"!

This was a commission piece I created in 99 for a jazz related company named DownBeat that appreciated the abstract nature of graffiti-style lettering. It was to be mounted on a mirror with the painted back helping to define the object and make it somewhat more legible. The color of the piece is dependent upon it's reflected environment. It was designed for a changing landscape allowing the introduction of flowers, for instance, to reinvigoration a space with new colors every day. From concept to near completion..View attachment 225059
This was my third metal piece. I had this one cut by water-jet at an artist friendly shop in Brooklyn named Milgo-Bufkin out of deco-aluminum sheet. This is the D after painting the back, resting on a mirror. I masked the brighter green outline on the front and sprayed it, editing with a razor.
View attachment 225067
I connected the lightweight material with industrial adhesive after roughening up the meeting points. But I hadn't accounted for the combined weight being more than the sheet could handle and you can clearly see dimpling at the top right of the A, if you can find the A ;)
View attachment 225061
View attachment 225068
Unfortunately I never got a picture of it's final mounting so the defining color behind is wasted in these shots. I wasn't thrilled with the overall alignment and had a really tough time mounting it but It was fun conceiving of it and working with my hands!

[extracted with help by CaptainAwsome from this conversation]
Ha! Sure, place the onus on the starving artist and forget the tasteless landlord and privately funded "arts" organizations who's boards are stuck in the pop era. These are typically promotional pieces benefitting the backers of shows and private collections. As a self proclaimed artist trapped in the cultural wasteland that once was a mecca for creatives this situation enrages me. It's the corporatization of cheap products at inflated prices and it works in conjunction with the concerted effort to stifle what governments might consider dangerous art.. like 70s rock and 80s rap for example. Both informative and political means of conveying stories, squashed by the market with help from (Reagan-Clinton) government deregulation of media. In New York for instance, our laws on vandalism have historically wavered between misdemeanors - felonies and back again depending on the political climate as such a visible, high traffic city has the potential to spread messages globally by simply writing on walls, (the origin of the word vandalism). When this happens the law sees no difference between scribbling and stories tall murals resulting in task forces sent out to collect the identification of artists who haven't been absorbed by establishment employ. Those who might deliver beautiful, yet subversive messages in a public forum. This eyeball represents that suppression by filling all available presentation space with fluff. A win-win for wealth. Though I blame those with the power to place and profit from this piece rather than the unimaginative artist. They have to live with the criticism that follows work that hasn't matured yet. Its allll money and this [artist] is a pawn. Ya think Ozzy was given a show to help his career or to make one of the original detractors of war look like a blithering idiot while battling addiction knowing he's still angry and active with a couple of kids on the come up?

p.s. sorry for the off-topic rant. I don't mean for it to sound angry but I am passionate about this. Peace, love and arts!
Love the thread
I draw some stuff, and started photography.
A conversation with @Ulu made me realize we're chock full of artisans working with our hands so you're probably constantly creative in other ways. I'd love to see what other people have created. Show us what you make when you're not building bikes! As they say, "no wrong answers"!

This was a commission piece I created in 99 for a jazz related company named DownBeat that appreciated the abstract nature of graffiti-style lettering. It was to be mounted on a mirror with the painted back helping to define the object and make it somewhat more legible. The color of the piece is dependent upon it's reflected environment. It was designed for a changing landscape allowing the introduction of flowers, for instance, to reinvigoration a space with new colors every day. From concept to near completion..View attachment 225059
This was my third metal piece. I had this one cut by water-jet at an artist friendly shop in Brooklyn named Milgo-Bufkin out of deco-aluminum sheet. This is the D after painting the back, resting on a mirror. I masked the brighter green outline on the front and sprayed it, editing with a razor.
View attachment 225067
I connected the lightweight material with industrial adhesive after roughening up the meeting points. But I hadn't accounted for the combined weight being more than the sheet could handle and you can clearly see dimpling at the top right of the A, if you can find the A ;)
View attachment 225061
View attachment 225068
Unfortunately I never got a picture of it's final mounting so the defining color behind is wasted in these shots. I wasn't thrilled with the overall alignment and had a really tough time mounting it but It was fun conceiving of it and working with my hands!

[extracted with help by CaptainAwsome from this conversation]
Ha! Sure, place the onus on the starving artist and forget the tasteless landlord and privately funded "arts" organizations who's boards are stuck in the pop era. These are typically promotional pieces benefitting the backers of shows and private collections. As a self proclaimed artist trapped in the cultural wasteland that once was a mecca for creatives this situation enrages me. It's the corporatization of cheap products at inflated prices and it works in conjunction with the concerted effort to stifle what governments might consider dangerous art.. like 70s rock and 80s rap for example. Both informative and political means of conveying stories, squashed by the market with help from (Reagan-Clinton) government deregulation of media. In New York for instance, our laws on vandalism have historically wavered between misdemeanors - felonies and back again depending on the political climate as such a visible, high traffic city has the potential to spread messages globally by simply writing on walls, (the origin of the word vandalism). When this happens the law sees no difference between scribbling and stories tall murals resulting in task forces sent out to collect the identification of artists who haven't been absorbed by establishment employ. Those who might deliver beautiful, yet subversive messages in a public forum. This eyeball represents that suppression by filling all available presentation space with fluff. A win-win for wealth. Though I blame those with the power to place and profit from this piece rather than the unimaginative artist. They have to live with the criticism that follows work that hasn't matured yet. Its allll money and this [artist] is a pawn. Ya think Ozzy was given a show to help his career or to make one of the original detractors of war look like a blithering idiot while battling addiction knowing he's still angry and active with a couple of kids on the come up?

p.s. sorry for the off-topic rant. I don't mean for it to sound angry but I am passionate about this. Peace, love and arts!
Nice thread!
I make some art, and started photography:

IMG-20230511-WA0006.jpg

And post on Instagram, with someone share art too I would be glad to interact.
@arte.borrada

Latest posts

Back