Show me your fixed-gear cruisers...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only fixie in my collection.
20" wheels from Schwinn Exercisers. ie, solid rubber.

IMG_6327.jpg

Ditto on how does that exercise bike wheel'd bike ride?

Well, high bottom bracket + long crank arms + short frame + not enough seat post = I can't sit and ride. I must stand which is okay because that helps cushion the teeth rattling ride of the solid rubber tires.

I view the bike as a "Lets torture some kid with this bike" kinda bike. tips the scales at about 65 pounds. Fixie, no brakes. Kids just don't expect that but they don't go very fast so it's usually not an issue.

Did you notice the kickstand is up, yet the bike stands. The square tires do that.

Well, high bottom bracket + long crank arms + short frame + not enough seat post = I can't sit and ride. I must stand which is okay because that helps cushion the teeth rattling ride of the solid rubber tires.

I view the bike as a "Lets torture some kid with this bike" kinda bike. tips the scales at about 65 pounds. Fixie, no brakes. Kids just don't expect that but they don't go very fast so it's usually not an issue.

Did you notice the kickstand is up, yet the bike stands. The square tires do that.

Just...wow. Haha! I love it.

Surely, there's more... I gotta lace my wheels up and get the frame/fork powdered.... it's going to be a shameful spectacle indeed.

Surely, there's more...

Yeah, well, you are mixing oil and water with "fixie cruisers". "Round these here parts", we don't do fixed gear on our cruisers, just coaster brakes or the odd single speed freewheel.

There are tons of fixies on flickr in a few sets.
the Singlespeed/fixed Gear Bicycle group now has over 56,000 photos. What you will mostly see are urban fixies, track bikes or old road bikes converted.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/singlespeed/

There is a Schwinn-gle speed group too.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1158750@N22/

Yeah, see, that's the point... I'm not trying to see "urban fixies, track bikes or old road bikes converted..." nor am I looking to see fg/ss Varsities. Nothing against those bikes, but as you point out, there's a zillion pics of them online...

I'm trying to see some pics of fixed-gear cruisers. My project will be a fixed Worksman INB. Not exactly the kind of rig ones finds on the www.fixedgeargallery.com/‎ or tarckbike.com. I was thinking that, with all the diversity of the builds/builders here, there had to be some cruiser-style fixed bikes on here.

PS- the only thing more passe than the fixie craze is an attempt to snob on fixed gear bikes.

I think it could be cool , but its in the middle. Fixed gear guys are usally purists and even hate on conversioned road bikes. With that said not many people are gonna find it cool. I on the other hand like out of the nut shell things. At my lbs they have this ...... wood rimed track bike from 1912.

Last edited:
HxCforever, I see what you mean. In my experience, fixed guys on the internet forums hate on everything except for their own bike.... but fixed gear guys in real life tend to be more laid back.

I don't get why so many ppl have ant-fixed gear attitudes in general. It's one thing to be annoyed by the stereotypical fix kid trying hard to live out a cliche, but it's another thing to get uppity about bikes that don't coast. I used to ride fixed exclusively, and I gotta admit, I kinda miss it. Regardless of how one might feel about the bike builds that were trendy about 10 years ago, one has to admit that a fixed drivetrain is pretty fascinating.

I rode my upgraded mercier kilo for 3 years as a daily grinder. Up until I had to sell it to help pay for my wedding. Riding fixed is heart to heart with the pavement. Sounds corny but thats how it was for me. You feel more alert and in tune with the whole riding experience since you are in control. If I could get my hands on a short geometry 55cm vintage frame I'd do the ratrod style to it.

Latest posts

Back