Shout out to Craig at Bicycle Heaven in Pittsburgh!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for saving my afternoon of riding with my kids on the North shore trail. Its nice to know us Pittsburghers can ride our old bikes knowing a part source is near and available! My 40 yr old Hercules "the killer" broke a crank pin, which coulda been the end.

TheKillerinDaburgh.jpg

I never actually counted, but its easily double a normal ring. I extended the cranks and inch and a half to compensate. Works well, but theres a reason I call it the Killer. The pedal to ground clearance is very low, and dont try to steer to hard while cranking or the toes hit the front tire. Add the fact that its a coaster 3 speed, which means you cant freewheel it back in a turn for clearance, and you have a bike that you hafta be paying alot of attention to when riding!

Is that a 20" in front of it? I was staring so much at the ring I didn't even notice. Got some more pics, or maybe a build thread of that? I'm starting up a 20" project for my son and am interested in other 20" projects.

Ratbike.jpg

Thats my daughters 20" ratbike. We build it like 4 yrs ago when she was sooooo little. Its a Murray with a rat trap springers and extended and raked front section of frame.

Back