should I buy this?????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks to be an early 50s schwinn hornet with skiptooth. VERY rusty. I dont think anything can be saved except for the frame. Guy wants 50 bucks. Is it worth my time and effort? thanks for any advice
Photos350.jpg

I'd be on that in a heartbeat, but $30 does sound better if he would take it! :D

I'd try to talk it down to $30 but even at $50 I'd grab it up. With a good cleaning and an Oxalic acid bath you'd be surprised what I could make it look like. Not showroom fresh but a nice patina "Survivor" bike. I'd definitely plan on replacing the spokes they look a little thin. and rusty, like the '56 American I have. Spokes were rusted to oblivion.

That's worth $50 all day long. In fact, I bet you could sell the springer alone for $50. You certainly won't lose money on it, that's for sure.

I think it is very slavageable, too. Nothing looks rusted beyond repair. Looks solid enough, honestly. Look how dent free the fenders and braces are...

If I had the chance to buy that for $50, I'd be all over it. Hope you go and nab it!

Unchained said:
That's worth $50 all day long. In fact, I bet you could sell the springer alone for $50. You certainly won't lose money on it, that's for sure.

I think it is very slavageable, too. Nothing looks rusted beyond repair. Looks solid enough, honestly. Look how dent free the fenders and braces are...

If I had the chance to buy that for $50, I'd be all over it. Hope you go and nab it!

yeah,what he said. :mrgreen:

thanks for all of the comments and encouragement. I will offer the guy 30 but will take it for the 50. I will take more photos when I get it home and post my build Thanks again

check out how many parts are free or frozen up solid. The more you can find wrong with it, the closer you will come to $30. But buy it like everyone else says.

I bought one once and didn't bother to check it out much. after the money changed hands, it would barely move, the kick-stand was even frozen up. Live and Learn! :D

If it were within 5 miles of my house, I would buy it for $30. Otherwise, he better be payin ME to pick it up. Yea, the frame is good, but I'll be shocked if everything isn't locked up.

Re: should I buy this????? Bought it!!!

Went today to check it out. The bike is way more rusted than the photos showed. BUT The frame looks good and the forks are ok. I will need new truss rods for the fork and a new spring & hardware. The badge is an ACE schwinn badge. What year ? Have not been able to locate serial # yet. Another cool thing is that the springer fork has a lock built in. Much of everything else will have to be cut off.
So after pointing out all the problems with the bike (the guy knew nothing about old bikes - he just found it in an old garage) I paid $20 for it and brought it home :D

Latest posts

Back