should I buy this ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
It's a nice day , so I was out on my Sporty , when I spied some bikes outside a thrift store . I was checking out this Huffy tandem when I noticed the three red stripes on the hub :shock: and thick spoke tandem wheels . The price is $69.99
028-1.jpg
030.jpg
029-1.jpg

thats a super sweet find, but yeh offer less first, never hurts! good luck

certainly the best day weve had to ride in a while! i got my old bmx out and followed my son on his electric go cart (trying to figure out how to get that motor and battery on my bike).anyhow, i agree, start at $50, but dont be to proud to give in.

I'd get it, you can't loose at $50-$70, a little cleanup and it'd sell for $100 on C-list if you decided not to keep it.

It'd look really cool if you took the straight bars off and curve them a bit like a cantilever frame and weld them back in.

i usually wait untill sunday to buy from the thrift store.
thats 1/2 price senior day . of course that only does
you good if your over 50 years old. :mrgreen:

Pass.
Unless you pay $20, strip the rear hub out and scrap the rest you will be into it $200 by the time it is cleaned up and ready to ride.

I'm thinking synch the cranks and lube it, it'll probably work like a champ. Take a spoke wrench and try turning a few, if they turn easy it's worth it. OK rims are a lot easier/cheaper to get than all those heavy spokes

I would have snatched it up in a NY minute! That one is really complete! Proper everything, really hard to fimd them in that condition.

Only you can tell,and I have no desire for a tandem, but it looks like you could get way more than $50 easy for the parts.

I'd go $50 and try to figure out how to get it home.

Good luck.

Big question...does the hub work properly?

If not...I'd probably pass unless you're just hankering for a tandem.

Rat Rod said:
Big question...does the hub work properly?

If not...I'd probably pass unless you're just hankering for a tandem.

Good point.

If the hub does work well though, I'd be all over that. I don't know as I've ever seen an O.G. set of heavy spoked wheels with a kickback. I don't really know what the wheelset is worth, and maybe they aren't that rare, but in my eyes the wheelset itself is definitely worth the asking price. (Not sure how much the rest of it is worth... sometimes an idler brings a few bucks if someone needs one..? Otherwise I don't think much of it is very valuable). I'm not a huge fan of Daisy Daisy tandems, but those little tubes kick butt when you want to build a new rear triangle from scratch, or want to make a straightbar frame... :wink: For the wheelset and the tubing, I think it's a good deal. Even better if you can get it for less.

That's a nice pickup. Kickback hub makes it that much sweeter. I don't know how the market is by you but around here with a bit of clean up you could easily get two bills on CL.

Back