shorten a fork steering tube

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How do you guys shorten a steering tube on a set of forks? Hack saw? Will the threads get messed up?

Thanks for any advice.

How much are you talkin about? If you do cut it with a hack saw, be sure to put the nut on below the cut so that after you make the cut you can back the nut back over the threads to correct any damage you may cause. I have a method that I use that requires no cutting if your interested.

John c said:
How much are you talkin about? If you do cut it with a hack saw, be sure to put the nut on below the cut so that after you make the cut you can back the nut back over the threads to correct any damage you may cause. I have a method that I use that requires no cutting if your interested.

Sure John . I'd appreciate any info. By the way the nut isn't "open" on top so I can't screw down all the way.

WEAKFISH said:
John c said:

Sure John . I'd appreciate any info. By the way the nut isn't "open" on top so I can't screw down all the way.
Is the bearing retainer nut open at the top? that will work also. or is it one of those everything in one nut things? If nothing else just borrow the bolt off another set

Back