Shipping a frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
A few years ago, I could ship a frame and parts in a box 44 x 22 x 8 just under the limit (USPS) and spend about 25 bucks or so. I checked the USPS calculator today and there's no way to send a frame for under 50 or 60 bucks.
How do you guys ship a frame and/or parts nowadays?

I have used fedex recently. Shipped a couple frames in the past year or two and the cost is usually around $45. Not as cheap as it used to be, be less than UPS.

Sent from my SPH-M830 using Tapatalk

A few years ago, I could ship a frame and parts in a box 44 x 22 x 8 just under the limit (USPS) and spend about 25 bucks or so. I checked the USPS calculator today and there's no way to send a frame for under 50 or 60 bucks.
How do you guys ship a frame and/or parts nowadays?
Everything I've gotten these last few months as far as bikes has been from bike flights. All came clean and well handled. they are denoted for handling and sorting so don't get eaten by machines.
1478016400652-676519954.jpg

I've had 13 boxes of personal art and supplies shipped by ups 7 were detonated, have had good luck with r&l freight... It's flat rate by pallet so as long as you keep it easy for lift opporators to move and secure the load I think best bet if shipping a few at one time. R&l has no weight surcharges so it's really what u can stuff in a box.. I keep stuff a good 6" in off edges to accommodate others poorly secured cargo.

Usally if it's just a frame I just wrap it in plastic and take it to the post office ,lighter
And takes alot of the bulk out of it , always cheaper for me.

~ Rafael ~

You must trust the postal service a lot more than I do. It seems like every time I get a box through them it looks like it's been through a war. I do like their flat rate boxes though, I just make sure to double box or pack things really good.

Usally if it's just a frame I just wrap it in plastic and take it to the post office ,lighter
And takes alot of the bulk out of it , always cheaper for me.

~ Rafael ~

You must trust the postal service a lot more than I do. It seems like every time I get a box through them it looks like it's been through a war. I do like their flat rate boxes though, I just make sure to double box or pack things really good.
Well he's talking about how he sends.. not stating how he would like receive... I pay for shipping to be safe, if a seller goes cheap, and damage is done, for sure I expect the seller to replace due to there negligence and lack of respect for our transaction and deal.
I didn't send u a shredded hundred dollar bill and bent quarters...
I'd be honestly flat out pissed.

Original post here by "Wildcat " was referring to price of shipping , I was just telling a cheap way to ship a frame , I've never had trouble with my postal service, and if you take a look at my feedback you'll see I've never had a problem with my Customers, ;)

Bikeflights does ship internationally. I used them once to ship a BMX bike to Japan for about half the cost of what it would have been directly through the carrier.

Now here's the point of discussion that others have brought up in the past about Bike Flights. I think that they are able to offer reduced pricing through FedEx because you don't get FedEx insurance if you go through Bike Flights. I think they have some kind of agreement going where they get discounted rates if they provide their own insurance. A forum member had to make a claim about a year ago and found out the hard way that Bike Flights wasn't as easy to deal with as FedEx would have been.

That being said....I always use them and never have had any issues.

Bikeflights does ship internationally. I used them once to ship a BMX bike to Japan for about half the cost of what it would have been directly through the carrier.

Now here's the point of discussion that others have brought up in the past about Bike Flights. I think that they are able to offer reduced pricing through FedEx because you don't get FedEx insurance if you go through Bike Flights. I think they have some kind of agreement going where they get discounted rates if they provide their own insurance. A forum member had to make a claim about a year ago and found out the hard way that Bike Flights wasn't as easy to deal with as FedEx would have been.

That being said....I always use them and never have had any issues.
That's great to know thanks.... I'm going to have no safe place to browse bikes soon....:crazy2:

That being said....I always use them and never have had any issues.[/QUOTE]
their rates come from 3 things. 1st volume. 2st using FedEx exclusively. and 3rd relationship with FedEx rep. and the more FedEx messes up on their part the more the rates drop. also as for insurance they are the middle man. the they use there account so when you buy the insurance, they buy the insurance from FedEx. if there is a claim, they have to take it up with FedEx. and FedEx can be a pain to deal with. i have been doing shipping and receiving for 10 yeas now.

I've used Bikeflights.com several times to ship full complete cruisers all across the country , great rates ,great service I was surprised initially that they came rite to my front door and picked up my boxes to ship
No problems thus far , almost to good to be true , Exactly what we needed in this hobby.

~ Rafael ~

I've had some serious losses regaurding shipping not involving bikes using ups and FedEx.. like terrible months long battles...
That said I was slow to be interested or comfortable having bikes shipped.
Have received a good number of packages so far from them this year and over 5 more completes and a number of parts boxes in route...
I've been very happy to have this option available also to say the least.

Still hope to move up to using flat pallet freight rates volume :crazy2::crazy2:

Latest posts

Back