shimano oval chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi does any of you know if/where this chain can be purchaced ?

shimanooval.jpg

i found it on a american website, but sold out, i can find no trace of it on shimano´s website?

regards
Flemming

CCR said:
those are for the "coastings" bikes sold by raleigh, trek, giant and maybe a few others, they were automatic 3 speeds.

http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2006/index.html

i just got off the phone w/shimano, i'm told those were never stocked as an aftermarket item. heck, you can probably pick up a complete 'coasting' bike for the price of a chain if anybody is still sitting on some :p one shop down the road has the treks 'buy one get one'. thankfully we only had to dump a couple. the words "lead balloon" come to mind........ :wink:

bicycleguy said:
My LBS has them in stock and thry have used them on a few bikes they have built, I think they are around $25.

well so much for the accuracy a lbs gets when they call the shimano tech guys............ :x

Re: shimano oval chain
by bicycleguy on Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:50 pm

My LBS has them in stock and thry have used them on a few bikes they have built, I think they are around $25.

bicycleguy, can i get a name and phonenumber for your LBS??

i really like this chain - so whats shipping it half way round the world :D :D

Flemming

thanx bicyckeguy, unfortunately they were out of stock.. if anybody out there sees/has this chain, pls let me know

regards
Flemming

I know this is an old thread but is anyone using this chain? I just ordered a couple from the UK off Ebay to install on my stretch. Not cheap since I had to buy two but I really like the look of it. It's listed as Shimano NX01.

I got the two chains today and they look really nice. Now I just need to figure out how to make one long one to fix my stretch cruiser. This chain uses a master link and the instructions only say how to shorten the chain but cutting links off.

The chain doesn't fit in my regular Park chain breaker and the pins are a different style. I may have to take it to the LBS to get it fixed up.

THANX to nicksgarage... i never got a hold of this chain back when i started the thread..now i find it everywhere on the web with the NX01.. of to the shops :)

The ones I got came from the UK. Off ebay. Two sets for $52 shipped.

I got the chain on my bike last night. Was able to use my chain break after all but it was hard. The oval plates are thick and rounded so the chain doesn't fit in the break real square. I guess I could have filed the back of the tool to make it fit but didn't want to ruin it for regular chains.

I don't think the pins used for the links are meant to re reused so it was really hard to get them to work to make the chain longer. I ended up ruining several links trying to get there. I ended up using the quick link to connect the chain together on the bike. I don't have any pictures of it installed but it looks really nice on the stretch. There is so much chain visible on that bike from both sides that it makes sense.

chain01.jpg

CCR said:
they look like the expanded rivets to me instead of normal pins.

I don't know if there is a right way to replace them. I've never worked with a chain like this before. I guess I'll find out how it holds together when I ride it. The other alternative would have been to use two quick links.

Back