Shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I have just searched and read a few topics on suicide shifters. I have an electra straight 8 with the shimano nexus 3speed hub and am looking to convert it to a suicide shifter. I saw the how to on making it with the grip shift but dont want to weld a post on the frame to mount the shifter. I also saw a post that chopperdome has a nice one and its exactly what im looking for but they are out of amsterdam (im in canada). I heard you can use a 3 speed thumb shifter but wasnt sure exactly which one. can someone send me a few links on what products will work ?
Thanks

if youre referring to uncle stretchs post he did that with out welding the bar.
ill give you a no holes/no weld hint.....you know how they make the mounts for bike bells..... :idea: fill in the blanks :wink:

I figured I could make a mount but I'm worried it will be to flimsy once I mount the extended handle

the other trick to the shifter arm is make sure it is not too heavy otherwise when you hit bumps it will want to throw it out of gear :shock:

Thanks for all the suggestions, I decided to go with the Bendix shifter. It should be here in a few days. Hopefully I don't run into any issues with the nexus 3 speed compatibility.

I just mounted a short version of the bendix on my Electra Ratrod and it was a breeze! I mounted the shifter on the lower bar, mounted an old three speed nylon/steel housing clamp further back, and then ran the index housing the rest of the way back to the nexus hub. It looks cool and doesn't bump out of gear like the original gripshift! Good luck with your project!

daniewcz said:
I just mounted a short version of the bendix on my Electra Ratrod and it was a breeze! I mounted the shifter on the lower bar, mounted an old three speed nylon/steel housing clamp further back, and then ran the index housing the rest of the way back to the nexus hub. It looks cool and doesn't bump out of gear like the original gripshift! Good luck with your project!

Any pics of it?

The only drawback that I have experienced is that the shift pattern is backwards because the hub operates in reverse of sturmey archer hubs and the old shimano hubs. I can't figure out how to post pictures here. any help, please?

There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum describing how to post pics. Yes my shift pattern is opposite as well but have sanded the numbers off the shifter.

ratrod018.jpg
ratrod017.jpg
ratrod014.jpg
ratrod012.jpg
[/img]

I made a few other mods as well! i changed the stock seat with a Brooks mattress saddle, changed the front forks to a springer, did away with the moon handlebar and went with a nice "North road" pullback, traded all the fender bolts for rivet screws,changed the padded grips to a stylish hard plastic AMF set, changed the front and rear reflecter to a gulco set, changed the wheel reflecters to a larger stimsonite set, and added the Hula girl bobber and a "New York worlds fair" vanity bicycle license plate from 1964. I am waiting on a different chain ring and a set of minature billard balls to change the shift knob to #3. Then I think this one will be done.

Thanks for the pics, where did you get the clamp on the frame for the cable sheath ?
Thanks

camps23 said:
Thanks for the pics, where did you get the clamp on the frame for the cable sheath ?
Thanks
I plucked it off a three speed that I parted out. No telling what brand it was but it was either scratched and rusted beyond help or it could have been a ladies model. It most cetainly had either a sturmey archer or a 333 (early shimano) set up. Definitely try to keep sharp bends out of the cable and use index housing instead of the old stuff. I also used a fresh shift cable and put the nub end at the shifter. Loop it around the way the shifter directions tell you to. Then take it up at the hub fulcrum. Make sure all your bolts are super tight EXCEPT the one that locks the fulcrum to the axle. If you strip this out (like I did) use a 10-32 tap to fix it and replace the bolt with a 10-32 bolt. Its only aluminum and it doesnt take much! good luck!

I just changed the shift knob on my bendix shifter from the standard black to a red 3 miniture billard ball. It looks great but i'm not sure if it will hold up to use. I tried to heat the shaft with a heat gun and slide the knob off but it didn't work. I ended up cutting through the knob with a dremel and cracking it off with a screwdriver. It is a messy, smelly job and i wouldn't recommend doing it. I will post a pictute later tonigjt.

Pics would be great I just ordered a white with black dot dice shift knob for mine and was goin to use the dremel to get the original off like you said. Did you have to drill a large hole in the pool ball ? How did you secure it to the shaft ? U was thinking of using jb weld.

Back