Shifter Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crump582 said:
Anyone know if this SA shifter will work with the Nexus 3 speed on my Straight 8?

http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-St ... roduct_top

I would like to get the shifter down off my handle bars, but can't seem to find a trigger or lever shift to use. Anyone have a link to a better option?

Probably, but where is your Straight 8 so that we can look and see.

I have some pics in the Electra thread... but I am always willing to throw em' up. Pretty stock really...

straight8001.jpg

I would like to get a NOS Bendix stick shifter, but I can't locate one... and they are usually $100.

SA an Shimano have different "Pull" amounts on most of their shifters. I doubt the indexes will matchup perfectly. It may work with some fiddling.

Thanks for the info... I assumed that was the case. I guess I can leave it be. I don't want to have to "fiddle" with this one too much.

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with the Electra s8.
The cable travel (from 1 to 3) of a modern SA3 shouldn't be much different than an old SA3, even though the doohickies at the hub are completely different.
Hard to say if the metal blob at the shifter end of the cable would work on an old style thumb shifter. You may have to find a way to modify that part.

45 euros = 62.3610 US dollars plus shipping.

The Shifty B's cost $100-110 so either one will set you back some $$

Cool... I think it's worth a shot. Save some cash for sure.

I'm not really trying to make a statement with my shifter, just like to have the little small one down on the frame and off the bars so I don't need the big elaborate ones.

If you are looking for something small, you could even use an old 10 shifter on the seat tube.

When you adjust the cable/hub/shifter, adjust as normal for Nexus 3 and make sure the 2nd position on the shifter lines up with your 2nd on the hub.
Clothespin n said:
Put it in Second gear....

back off that "Set Nut" Closest to The Gear Box,

spin the other nut ( Cable adjuster ) until the Litlle Gismo inside is Between those Yellow Lines.....

Tighten the Lock Nut back up and............DONE!

it's about a 30 Second Adjustment.

Hope this helps,

Kev.

Back