Setting up a 7 speed Sturmey Archer - help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in the process of installing a 7 speed Sturmey Archer on my stretch Micarge cruiser (originally a single speeder). Got a couple questions.

Firstly, Im having issues adjusting the gears. I did some searching and found the link to that site about adjusting SA 3 speeds. Problem is, Ive adjusted it as tight as the SA provided cable bracket allows, and there's still way too much slack. When I put it in 1st, I can pull the cable out almost an inch because there's so much slack in the cable :? As I shift up, the slack is slowly taken up till when its in 7th the cable is tight. I'll see if I can get some pics.

The other issue is the SA grip-shift shifter doesnt fit the bars. There's probably a few mm difference between the diameter of the bars, and the inside diameter of the shifter. But there doesnt seem to be any tightening/fastening mechanism to screw it down? :? The stump grip (the non-twisting part of the grip of the shifter set up) fits fine on the bars though.

Any assistance will be gladly appreciated! :D Thanks

Oh yeh, this is my first play with cruisers/multi-speed hubs.

Re: Setting up a 7 speed Sturmey Archer

Got some pics.

In 1st, there's heaps of slack in the cable
606b6942.jpg

and in 7th, all that slack is taken up
6e42d577.jpg

As you can see in that 2nd pic, Ive wound the adjuster as far out from the bracket as I can, but obviously there's still too much slack in the cable.

I cant tell in the pics but is there a plastic piece on the cable that fits in a metal "clamp" that attaches to the rear of the frame? If so, take the slack out by moving that clamp and plastic piece away from rear wheel. Does that make sense? I can get pics if ya need. But....Im going by what I know about 3 speeds....Mark

edit: the piece is something like this but on the rear of the frame
canarybreeze773.jpg

Markm said:
I cant tell in the pics but is there a plastic piece on the cable that fits in a metal "clamp" that attaches to the rear of the frame? If so, take the slack out by moving that clamp and plastic piece away from rear wheel. Does that make sense? I can get pics if ya need. But....Im going by what I know about 3 speeds....Mark

No, there isnt :? Also remember Im converting it from a single speed coaster hub, to the 7 speed, so even if its supposed to have it, it wont. From the look of it, the black cable outer is supposed to sit in the end of the adjusting nut (like it does in my second pic). I'm thinking if I custom make a bracket thats like an inch longer or so to take up the slack, this might work? If so Ill make it out of aluminium, drill some holes in it and polish it up 8)

Do S.A. make a traditional style shifter for 7 speed as well as a twistgrip? That's what i'd get. I realise that might not be your personal preference though

Dont know. The shop I got it from sold me the built up wheel and grip shift shifter as a package. They just deal with MTBs and Racers, not cruisers. Some guy had special ordered it and never picked it up, so it sat on a shelf for years. Because no one goes there for cruiser parts, it just gathered dust. I picked it up for a song :D So I never asked about a traditional 'floor shifter' (as I call em :wink: ). I do prefer the practicality of the grip shift for 'on the fly' shifts, but will change to a traditional shifter if needed.

Thanks for the tips :D :D :D

Latest posts

Back