setting the seat back

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact Marty @ 10~18Kustoms (a member here) They can custom make you a luck 7 seatpost any length or any angle. 8)

You can also use a bar end off of an old mountain bike, that will get you back another 3 inches and down an inch or two. I did that on my bootlegger bike.

PA210156.jpg

PA210161.jpg

You can replace the seat tube with a curved bar that will move the seat position back and lower. I have done this on several of my bikes. I usually use the down tube or top tube from an old girls bike frame to replace the seat tube. Here is a link to one of my bikes that I have done this to. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12485&hilit=+murray+rat Hope this helps.

curving the tube is a bit beyond what I want to to. I removed the seat and have the clamp on the front rather than the middle. It's now back about as far as I want it (though it needs supports on the back) but it's still too high. I want it clamped onto where the tube ends. any suggestions?

36f977c8-1.jpg

the circle is where I want the clamp to be

I have seen some bikes that didn't have a seat post clamp at all. The seat bar had an angle on the end and a bolt running down through the topp with a wedge like a handle bar stem. If you could fine one like that you could cut the top of the seat tube down and it would give you what you are after. I will look and see if I have one laying around.

I found a couple brackets that were made to hold two 1" tubes parallel and 3 inches apart. I attached it to the seat tube and the seat post. The results put my seat about 1/4" above my back tire and the nose of the seat right on top of the seat tube.

2lo15xw.jpg

That is a quarter between the tire and seat to show the clearance.
16jixz7.jpg

Ok so using a vice I managed to get the old post out. the post was completely destroyed but luckily I just happened to have another one laying around.

Unfortunately the post is just slightly too small so I guess I'll have to Teflon it.

e88aedd1.jpg

I temporarily moved the clamp back to the middle
69831bec.jpg

0a83638f.jpg

a little too loose
8180c40a.jpg

94f1d841.jpg

72a0ddec.jpg

12dd589f.jpg

flipped the clamp
a679b61a.jpg

I figure once I build a bracket for the back of the seat I'll be able to put the clamp back on the front.

Back