seat setback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my current build I'd like to have my seat set back more toward the rear tire. In looking at photos in the gallery it appears that in most cases this is done with a angled seatpost and the receiver hole in the seat turned 90 degrees forward.

Can these seatposts be purchased somewhere or as these being custom made?

They are old "lucky 7" style seat posts. Can turn them forward or backward depending on how you like to ride. You will need a seat post and seat that takes that type of seat post since it's skinnier than a normal seat post.

Read the 'Seatpost Help' thread from Mon. last. There are also several types of bent/angled back seatposts with and without a brace available commercially; they dont go as low, but give you setback and height, often what you need to really pedal efficiently. My deuce works great like this.

S1052078.jpg

If you've got a ratty build you can use 1/2" pipe and a 45 or 90 degree elbow. You'll probably have to shim it tight, though I just bolted mine through the seat tube. :shock: :lol:

You probably already know, but you can get the seat set back a couple of inches by rotating the bracket forward.

Thanx! I should have mentioned that this one is a 7/8", but 1" is common too. I made this seatpost by cutting up an old set of 7/8" motorcycle handlebars and getting several different pieces with different reaches and bends. FWIW, dont cut one up without really figuring all the pieces you can get and marking with tape (how would I know.....) or you take the chance of cutting it off twice and its still too short.

I checked all the sources in the threads above and unfortunately can't find one in the right size. I need a 13/16 for my Huffman frame. The only one I found so far offering that size is out of stock and not making any right now. So If anyone knows of any sources for this size let me know.

I've got an original straight post in the correct size. I'm going to look into getting this one bent.

Here's one done with the dogdart method. 5/8" steel rod from hardware store welded into stock steel post. Gary
DSC04256.jpg

Back