Seat Recovering

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions. I have a Troxel seat that I want to recover to match my projects paint. I am having a local auto upholster do the job and he is quit capable of the task but he is alittle young, older then me but young none the less. I know you have seen them before but this Troxel seat has rivets around the bottom that hold the material to the pan. Does anyone know where you get these rivets?, what they are actually called if not rivets?, and how you install new ones? The upholstery fella has seen these things on other items brought to him such as suit cases and the like but has not been able to sort out how replace them. Any help would be appreciated.

Drag they arn't solid, I pulled one out and the bottom part is hollow. There is also a washer type thing that goes on before its pressed.

Yeah those would look cool polished and they look sorta like the ones on the seat too.

Those Rivits are Know as Tinners Rivits.
They call them this in the Industry because you can soldier them to things that you may need to attach to or hold down some how.
I have used them extensivily on several seats . Had to Make tooling to Set & Form a Round Head on them . They come Flat, several shaft sizes & legnths.
They Are cool. lol.
You can take one I have Rounded & Polish them or Put a Distressed Patina On them . I have done them Both ways.
I made Molds to Make Leather Covers for my Pan / Tray seats. Mine were Pearsons . Discard the Pinch Part of the seat & use just the Large Tray.
When you are all done you have a Fitted Cover for the Metal Trey.
I add a real Hi density / sandable Foam for Shape & a little Padding in just the rite places.

Install new Formed Cover using Clecos as you go to retain the cover to trey.
13 holes around the edge of the trey to put Rivits in to.

When all the dust settles, you finnish the Leather with a Honey or Black depending what you want for leather color .
Personaly for several reasons persomnal to my self, I enjoyed the Honey With Big Rivits Polished for a doabale / Likable combo. I liked the warm , Rich color of Honey with the Polished Copper Rivits.
It really POP's to the Eye. They Look so Much like an OLD WEATHERD / Aged Brooks .
Im not an Leather Artist I didn't get to caried away on the cover surface, Just the Honey Color.

If you could do cool art to leather, The thing to do would be form one, Do the Art & then Assmble it.

Back