seat questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thats a good question..... i can "deal" with most any seat..... but.

im looking for something rideable, but not a fat beach cruiser seat, or a skinny fixed gear seat.

ideally in the 10.5-11" length/6" plus wide, with some cushion, but not an old lady gel seat either....padded, but not crazy.... probably overthinking this.

i do that.

I didn't want a cruiser set on my worksman but I had a bunch of them. For the time being I put on a seat from The basic electra cruiser. I thought it was temporary but man is it comfy.
On my typhoon I bought some 10$ mtb kind of seat off ebay. That's not bad at all. I couldn't decide if I wanted to buy another one or go with some kind of leather.

I find the 1990s mountain bike saddles comfortable and usually inexpensive. I have also ordered several different but similar seats on eBay direct from China that are comfortable. There sure are a lot of saddles. I though these mtn bike saddles would be uncomfortable but for me they are better than the padded cruiser saddles. This type should look good on your bike as well. Here is one of my off road bikes with an old mtn bike saddle, plenty comfortable for me. I don't like Brooks saddles for off road as the mud and creek water makes them wet and then they sag. There are creeks and mud stretches on out trails and it occasionally rains for a week. The trails are well drained and usually quite dry and even dusty, but they can be too wet for a leather saddle. If you live where it is dry a leather saddle would be OK, especially if you have a backup vinyl one you could switch out if you get an unusual wet spell. For us it is too wet too often for a leather saddle for trail riding.

I also use an eBay Chinese one like this, comes in every color under the rainbow: cost $8 to $25. I find it just as comfortable and I don't worry about getting it wet. Some of this rivet style have a little more padding than shown in this picture. If I am reading you correctly I think the older mountain bike saddle is what you are after.

Last edited:
On my bomber, I have an old Specialized mountain bike seat.
Looks pretty much like any rail mount seat (no exposed coil springs).
But it has internal net of springs giving some suspension.:happy:
Here is one on ebay that looks something like it.
$(KGrHqN,!lEFHWCwKr6PBR3YSNM4KQ~~60_57.JPG

and the springs...

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0u3tBR3YS)Owq!~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velo-Bicycl...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fba7e7ae

hope this helps!

On my bomber, I have an old Specialized mountain bike seat.
Looks pretty much like any rail mount seat (no exposed coil springs).
But it has internal net of springs giving some suspension.:happy:
Here is one on ebay that looks something like it.
$(KGrHqN,!lEFHWCwKr6PBR3YSNM4KQ~~60_57.JPG

and the springs...

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0u3tBR3YS)Owq!~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velo-Bicycl...438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fba7e7ae

hope this helps!
I want to try one of these, never saw one on all my old junker mtn bikes. I will look for one. I have and old giant, I wonder if the seat is similar?

If you are looking for this type of saddle new , use the search term " web spring saddle ". For example Velo Web Spring Saddle pops up on Amazon . Planet bike has a few designs, etc. The plastic seat pan cracks for some riders. I ride a stretch with full body weight on my sit bones , and my comfortable web spring cruiser saddle ( with 2 additional coil springs ) has not cracked.

If you are looking for this type of saddle new , use the search term " web spring saddle ". For example Velo Web Spring Saddle pops up on Amazon . Planet bike has a few designs, etc. The plastic seat pan cracks for some riders. I ride a stretch with full body weight on my sit bones , and my comfortable web spring cruiser saddle ( with 2 additional coil springs ) has not cracked.
Thanks, I did not know what this type of saddle was called.:)

I tend to mostly use Brooks on some bikes, plastic bmx seats on others, and the super-cheap $8 quilted/padded vinyl jawns-- they're like fake Troxel-style saddles....

Most mtb saddles are comfortable, and they come in all shapes and sizes.... and a plain black one will look good on your bmx-ish Worksman build.

Last edited:
Back