Seat position on a new cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've now stripped the stuff I want to keep from my old Sterling hybrid and have started riding my new Electra Super Deluxe. Around the block and with the kids I've been fine with my riding position but on longer trips with more hills, my legs are killing me. Right now, I can reach the ground with the balls of both feet. Should I go a bit higher on the seat to allow for full leg extension on the down stroke or am I just way more out of shape than I thought?

Thoughts, comments, sneers jeers and abuses welcome.

On a MTB or Road bike, generally the seat is adjust to allow for almost full leg extension. On Electra's Foot Forward design this will help too. The best advise is to keep riding and get in shape.

Near full extension is "correct". With the ball of your foot on the pedal, you should be able to straighten your leg, This will put you in the ball park. During times when I'm getting a lot of riding in, my seat works it's way up. If I don't ride for a while, and leave it that way, when I get back on, it feels like I have to reach for them. There's many reasons why people set their's differently, but for simple solid road surface use, as high as is comfortable while pedaling is the most efficient and least tiring.

my favorite 'quick' saddle height adjustment is to center the HEEL of your foot on the pedal axle with the leg just straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. when you scoot your foot back to normal- BALL of your foot centered on the pedal you'll have about the correct leg extension when you actually ride. :D

Thanks guys. I guess I was just concerned about this coaster brake thing and have the saddle set too low. I haven't ridden a bike with out hand brakes in 30 years.

Back