Sears Scorpion aka "Stinger Ray" 🦂

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I did a little accent color on the front wheel. The Dupli-Color Yellow anodized has sort of a greenish tint to it so I applied a light coat of Dupli-Color Orange (copper) to make it kinda goldish.

USPS has lost the vinyl I ordered from Amazon for the seat so I had to request a refund and order from eBay. Still waiting...... Hopefully it gets here in time to finish.

Last edited:
Seat vinyl finally arrived! The color is called "Red Planet" but I think it's more red/orange. Maybe I should have ordered "Ruby Red" it might have matched better. Assembly in progress....I may make the deadline this time.

Started with this.
20231020_190726.jpg

Foam shaped. I use headliner material to cover the foam.
20231102_102840~2.jpg

Vinyl pattern cut and ready to wrap.
20231103_120930~2.jpg

Making progress.
20231104_101628.jpg

Last edited:
The bike has its name now. Although Sears didn't make a "Scorpion" I thought since Spyders bite and Scorpions sting maybe they should have. Brake cable and decals installed. Took it for a test ride and found out it'll pop a wheelie with no effort! 62 year old people probably don't need to be doing that. So I flipped the seat post mount around and that helped solve that little problem. I'm having fun with this build and getting close to being finished.
20231105_092722~2.jpg
20231105_092815~2.jpg

Been away for a few weeks, wow, dig everything about this!!

I'll have to look back and see what prep you did on the mags to get such a brilliant color response.

This is muscle cool in every way!🤩

Been away for a few weeks, wow, dig everything about this!!

I'll have to look back and see what prep you did on the mags to get such a brilliant color response.

This is muscle cool in every way!🤩
All I did was mask off, light sand with 400 grit, Dupli-Color Silver Base Coat, then Dupli-Color Anodized Red for the rear and Dupli-Color Anodized Yellow with a light coat of Dupli-Color Anodized Orange for the front to sort of give it a gold shade.

All I did was mask off, light sand with 400 grit, Dupli-Color Silver Base Coat, then Dupli-Color Anodized Red for the rear and Dupli-Color Anodized Yellow with a light coat of Dupli-Color Anodized Orange for the front to sort of give it a gold shade.
Thanks for the detail! I've used the Dupli-color metalcast paint but not the Silver Base coat. You got great results.

The bike has its name now. Although Sears didn't make a "Scorpion" I thought since Spyders bite and Scorpions sting maybe they should have. Brake cable and decals installed. Took it for a test ride and found out it'll pop a wheelie with no effort! 62 year old people probably don't need to be doing that. So I flipped the seat post mount around and that helped solve that little problem. I'm having fun with this build and getting close to being finished.View attachment 251900View attachment 251901
Bling bling

Thanks for the detail! I've used the Dupli-color metalcast paint but not the Silver Base coat. You got great results.
So far I have always used the Dupli-Color Silver Base. It gives the top coat a metal flake look. I want to try the glitter paint as a base to see if it looks like the gel coat on a fiberglass dune buggy or bass boat. Maybe one day I'll try it.

What could I make out of this?
20231116_141431_HDR.jpg
Plastic storage box, polyester webbing and grommets came from Hobby Lobby. Simpson Racing patch and "Remove Before Flight" streamer from eBay. Gorilla Tape from Home Depot. Reusable grocery bag was free.

I wanted to make a functional "Drag Chute" but with time running out I decided to just make a storage box that resembles a Drag Chute.
20231116_144756.jpg

Getting close to finishing up this build! WOO HOO!

Hah, I have the same ASPE wheels. The rear freewheel was trashed and I could not get it off. It was one of those that does not have any removal tool slots. I tried my Bicycle Research no-slot-tool but no go. I didn't want to break the tool so I sawed the freewheel off. Then I noticed one of the spokes was broken at the rim. Doh! It's ART now.

I removed the axle and steel cups. The hub sticks out quite a ways so I hack sawed those ends off. The hub is pretty slender now, about the same width as the rim so it will hang flat on wall.

it's too cold here to spray and I won't spray in the house so it's brush on latex for now. A red, white and blue theme. The front wheel is okay but I may do the same to it or just paint and put it on a bike some day.

Very nice results on your paint job! Especially the wheels.

The break!
APSE.mag (5).JPG

Milwaukee electric hacksaw. Battery powered and it can be used with one hand. Easier to use than the demo saw. new 12" blade reaches just fine.

APSE.mag (3).JPG
APSE.mag (4).JPG

Attachments

• APSE.mag (1).JPG
    APSE.mag (1).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back