Sears fixed gear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Way nicer looking then my Sears.

They do ride surprisingly nice tho'.

4416997177_31fd0cfb83.jpg

Breakpetal said:
Wow. Way nicer looking then my Sears.

They do ride surprisingly nice tho'.

4416997177_31fd0cfb83.jpg

I really like your conversion. It's a lot more practical than mine. My wife did ride it quite a bit last summer, but I would probably use your version more. It's amazing how light these frames are, I think the fixed gear weighed in just under 23 pounds. Which isn't bad for Sears bike.

what an awesome bike. try leaving off the straps and just use the plastic cage. it will still provide some grip for the upward stroke, but may be easier for entry. in time put the straps back on.

good looking!! love the transformation! i want it. :mrgreen:

Wow that paint job is the cat's booty! I was about to say the same thing about the wingnuts on the rear. I have my rear wheel cranked down pretty good and it's got track nuts and still managed to get it to slide. I skid stop also though so that's alot more force on the wheel then if your using mainly rim brakes. Very cool bike though I have to say. I've got two Sears three speeds in the garage and a nice Hercules road frame to build into SS's or another fixie. I don't know how comfy I'd feel without having toe clips or clipless pedals on a fixie. I've got clipless pedals on mine and wouldn't change it.

WOW - very nice!
Excellent job, that's one to be proud of.

Another issue is the bottom bracket. It keeps loosening slightly. I'm hoping the bearings are just getting seated. This bike is very strange in that the bottom bracket threads backwards from what I'm used to. To loosen, you turn it forward on both sides. This seems backwards to me, and I'm hoping that it's not the reason for the bottom bracket loosening while riding.

That's not the reason; you prolly need to make sure you have the fixed side tightened down thoroughly. Then, once you get the bearings adjusted on the NDS by tightening the adjustable cup just so, you gotta tighten down the lockring on that side. Then, you oughta be good to go. FWIW, most threaded BB's are reverse threaded on the DS, meaning that on the right side of the bike, it's lefty-tighty, righty-loosey. On the left side, it's standard threads. Some exceptions to this are French and Italian BB shells, which are standard threaded on both sides (and which do come loose on the drive side.) The OPCs you may be used to, since they're male-threaded, have the reverse threads on the NDS. It all has to do with oscillating forces; same reason why left-side pedals are reverse-threaded. Turning the cranks would loosen them up otherwise.

Your bike looks great; love the paintjob. About 2 or 3 projects from now, I'll be building a fixed-gear Worksman INB; it'll likely weigh twice what your bike does. :rockout:

Latest posts

Back