Sears and Roebuck Free Style...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyones had any experience with one. I just picked up a sears & roebuck "Free Spirit" 24 or 26" (didn't measure)single or maybe it's considered a fixed gear (?) at the local salvation army store for $19.99. Sorry for the lack -o- pics. I'm new to this and wondering if this bikes dimensions are compatable with modern replacement parts (not concerned with maintaining an original / vintage re-build.)

**EDIT**

Sorry for posting twice in regard to a similar topic :oops:

does it look like this?
sent ya a P.M.
with different bars?
100_1957.jpg

That's the one ! Mine had a brown seat and different handle bars although the neck stem (?) for the handlebars look close to the same.
**EDIT**
Although mine is a coaster brake (Shimano)

yea, this was a 3 speed but I just turned it into this:
100_2116.jpg

found some Bell tread alert tires marked down to 5 bucks, 26 X 1.90
kinda like slicks...and squeaky!!
100_2117.jpg

It looks a little beefier..oh yeah, those are huffy cruiser rims...

well since I won't be able to go wider on the wheels I'll probably just try to clean the rust off the original rims as much as possible, make the build a little easier anyway.
**EDIT**

I really need to read slower before i post. I noticed you said that those are Huffy wheels so at least there's options...

yep. The forks needed a little grinding to get the fatter axle in. I didnt try 26 X 2.125's on this but I bet the fenders would rub...or the braces.

yea, earlier when I said you were stuck on the size I meant tire size on those rims. You can use different/wider rims.

Probably a coaster brake rather than Fixed Gear. Fixed Gear went out of style about 100 years ago and just came back into style for general riding a few years ago.

I've got a Sears Free Spirit 3-speed in the garage, in indifferent shape. 26x1-3/8 tires on it, I have some replacement tires but haven't got 'em on yet.

StephenH said:
Probably a coaster brake rather than Fixed Gear. Fixed Gear went out of style about 100 years ago and just came back into style for general riding a few years ago.

I've got a Sears Free Spirit 3-speed in the garage, in indifferent shape. 26x1-3/8 tires on it, I have some replacement tires but haven't got 'em on yet.

It is a coaster brake. It'll take me a little while to learn what to properly call the dohickeys and whatknauts.

Latest posts

Back