Screwy Shimano 3 Speed Coaster Hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to the local shop and started digging around for parts for my Schwinn Speedster build. Actually found a 3 speed coaster hub that the guy was willing to part with cheap. But now I'm wondering if I've got something I'll regret. It's a Shimano hub, so I figured the build quality would be good. But the shift mechanism is on the wrong end of the axle- not adjacent to the sprocket like every other 3 speed hub I've ever seen.

Anybody know what this thing is? Is it a total piece of experimental junk that Shimano built for one year then abandoned?

i think it was an 80s thing, didnt last long. most complain that it gets in the way of putting the kickstand down. other than that its probably a decent hub.

i put one on my wifes typhoon and the only problem that i ever had was the cable was to short and theyre near impossible to find(since its a solid cable not wrapped like a normal one) but they are out there....aside from that its been bulletproof

Good news. I like the fact that it's weird. That it works reliably is a bonus.

Thanks!

I found a replacement cable and barrel that screws to the bell so you can just use a regular cable that goes onto the barrel maybe i will just take a picture of it

sensor said:
i put one on my wifes typhoon and the only problem that i ever had was the cable was to short and theyre near impossible to find(since its a solid cable not wrapped like a normal one) but they are out there....aside from that its been bulletproof
Can you change the bellcrank and use a cable instead of that instead of that Positron cable?

ahh yes... sounds like an old shimano 333 hub, or in your case, a 3c w/coaster. i've used these and the other shimano 333 hubs and allthough they work, the s.a. hubs are much better and last longer in the long run. they are much easier to rebuild,too. i'm 8 for 8 success with s.a hubs, and 0 for 2 with the 333 hubs. not junk, but hard to find parts for and not very user friendly.

I was hoping to find a Sturmey-Archer S3C but you know the old saying about beggars and choosers. Oh well, if the 333 unit detonates, re-lacing the rear wheel isn't that annoying if you're watching a movie and having a beer...

That's what's been on my old Schwinn for the past 7 years. I bought the wheel for 3 dollars at a flea market and it has performed flawlessly. I used the positrion thing at first, but I switched to a regular shifter and cable and it works just like a regular shimano right hand 3 speed. It's going on a different bike soon.

esrkw7.jpg

sensor said:
Heres a picture of what i have because the cable was shot
HPIM6223.jpg

bicycleguy said:
Whatever you do don't take the hub apart because they are a pain to get back together.

I used to overhaul S3Cs without the benefit of an exploded diagram back in the day... are these substantially worse? Does anyone have an exploded diagram posted anywhere on the 'net?

I have one of these hubs and want on put it on a tandem. I have the linkage to adapt it to a regular cable. My question is what holds the cable to the frame?

I have two of them.One goining on the Rollfast with a 2.125 rim and the other going on the Peugeot Pipeline 5.I also have two 333. One on the Firestone the other a hub on the shelf.I'm using 333 shifters,cables and bell cranks.

I have two as well. I recently laced one to a 20" wheel for my Phake Krate. So far so good. The one in my Wasp failed this spring though.

AStingray2.jpg

Back