Scored this huffy the other day...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$45 bucks and I couldn't pass it by. Let me know if anyone can help guesstimate the year or make. And let me know if this is a score I'm new here...
huffy018.jpg

thnx guys! I have took it apart and started stripping the paint off. I really would like a springer front end but we will see what happens.

It's Huffy built from the early-mid 60s. If it's numbered like most, it'll have a serial # like 5H5000, which would be 1965. I think the # is on the rear dropout on these. -Adam

I'm not finding any numbers on the drop outs or anywhere for that matter, but when I bought it the guy told me it was a 50's or 60's huffy. I haven't been able to find any like this on the web so I'm kind of lost. But thanks for the info though.

101_6736.jpg

Picture quality sucks but here it is. It also says Dayton Ohio at the bottom of the badge. Hope this helps....thnx fellas!

This body style was used from 1964 ish, maybe '65 up to around 1969. The plastic chrome bollets are the giveaway. Yes, there is a number, maybe lightly stemped, but it is there. It would be on the LEFT SIDE of the LEFT DROPOUT.

SCORE!

Thanks, I still don't see a serial #, but I trust your judgment. I don't know what direction I'm going to take this build I have it stripped of paint the paint stripper ate up the bullets so I'm going to find something to replace them with.

ACK! Those are hens teeth rare without having to buy a wholenother frame! Those were plastic. I have two, but they are on a '66 Silver Jet I'm restoring. :mrgreen:

Nice find - I have this frame, seems uncommon, I ,too, looked all over the net and only ever came up with one photo of one. Mine is in the RRBBO#6 buildoff, stalled progress lately, sadly.

few questions for the gurus.

1 - is that the original Huffy guard ?

I have a newer huffy that I parted, had that guard, but I thought it was a universal guard due to the clamp-on attatchments. if it works for this frame might dig it back out.

2 - mine is also missing the front bullets, but they seem same as my 72 Wheeler Dealer and Cheater Slick . I think someone over on musclebikeforums was making those, saw some offered on ebay - billet aluminum replacements.

nice find, will look great cleaned up.

~ AL

The serial # of mine is 5H038187 the 87 is hard to make out, I hope that helps, I'm thinking about plugging mine with some caulk or something. I haven't done much yet I'm scrounging around for parts now.

Wooden Foot said:
The serial # of mine is 5H038187 the 87 is hard to make out, I hope that helps, I'm thinking about plugging mine with some caulk or something. I haven't done much yet I'm scrounging around for parts now.

This bike is a 1965.

Green Dragon said:
Nice find - I have this frame, seems uncommon, I ,too, looked all over the net and only ever came up with one photo of one. Mine is in the RRBBO#6 buildoff, stalled progress lately, sadly.

few questions for the gurus.

1 - is that the original Huffy guard ?

I have a newer huffy that I parted, had that guard, but I thought it was a universal guard due to the clamp-on attatchments. if it works for this frame might dig it back out.

2 - mine is also missing the front bullets, but they seem same as my 72 Wheeler Dealer and Cheater Slick . I think someone over on musclebikeforums was making those, saw some offered on ebay - billet aluminum replacements.

nice find, will look great cleaned up.

~ AL

I couldn't find your bike. But if you are referring to this, no, the chaingaurd is not correct.

As for the bullets, any Huffy-built bike (Cheater Slick was and so was the Wheeler Dealer obviously) had them. At least, the ones made during this time. Before this, Huffy had used chromed metal rounded caps.

Back