Scored a Columbia freestyle BMX free!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so I was out yard saling yesterday, and I come up on this house that looks like it was just built but nobody lives in it yet. There's a bunch of old junk out front, including a BMX bike with mags. I get out, I look it over, I notice that there's nobody standing there... as I get ready to walk up to the front door of the deserted-looking house and knock, I notice there are cardboard signs at both ends of the junk pile that say FREE in permanent marker. sweet! so I drag this home:

colfs01.jpg

colfs06.jpg

It looks pretty complete at first glance, but it's a horror show. I had no reason to expect the tires to hold air, but they did, so I tried to ride it around the driveway. The first problem is that the sprocket has a couple of teeth bent just enough to make the chain skip and do funny things. I kinda straightened them so it's ridable, but I think the sprocket is junk. Then there's the seat post. Apparently someone stuck it in just barely about 2 inches (about 3 inches short of the insertion line) and then rode it around and bounced on the seat. The post itself isn't bent, but the seat tube has a little kink just ABOVE the top tube, so now the post won't go in any further. I tried working on that a little, but I think it may be a lost cause... The steering was gritty so I rebuilt the headset, but it's still gritty. It's a freewheel rim, so the brakes are kinda important, but they're pretty shot... the arms are bent all wrong, and looking at the nasty stripe on the rim, I'm pretty sure those are the wrong brake shoes (How do you get that black stripe off anyway?) ANd the stem is missing one of the 4 little bolts that holds the bars in place. It's got that weird offset round head that holds it still in the top of the stem. Anybody know where to find one of them?

colfs02.jpg

colfs03.jpg

colfs04.jpg

colfs05.jpg

Anyways, the bars are so ugly it's a crime, but my first idea was to get Stingray-type bars, seat and sissy and some whitewalls for it. That's if I can get a seat post into it. Otherwise I keep the rims, stem, crank, and various other bits and pieces and ditch what's not usable... if I decide not to use the bars and frame and forks, I'll post a message up here to see if anyone can use them.

(While I'm on that subject... how does that work around here? I have a couple of old frames I'd like to get rid of now. I hate the thought of giving them to the recycler as scrap if someone can use them, but I dunno if they're worth anything to anyone here. One is a Monark girls' 26" with bent forks, and the other is a Kent 18" (yes, 18" wheels) BMX. They're pretty much stripped of anything usable as a spare...)

--rick

Hey Rick, funny thing is I remember seeing those bikes in stores long ago. My younger brother and I used to be into Freestyle and BMX racing back in the 80's.

I have some white rear frame standers that are off of a similiar old department store Freestyle bike......they'd be perfect for that project.

It is possible that those brake pads are correct. Alot of times brake pads will almost burn the rim.

Here are some links from another forum (sorry RatRod) for restoring white mag wheels.....and removing the brake pad residue:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultim ... 398#000000

great link, thanks! I don't remember ever seeing that bike in particular... my brother was the BMX nut. He had a ...... Schwinn Predator with all kinds upgraded parts... I think at one point he had Z Rims. Weren't they the ones that were designed to flex when you landed on them sideways? At any rate, my BMX experiences were limited to department-store bikes that I rescued from the trash.

thanks for the offer on the frame standers, but I don't think I'm heading that way with this bike...

--rick

Can't beat the price! 'Free' is always within the budget :mrgreen:

Z Rims were indeed the plastic rims. They were a little too flexible for the racers, but they were awesome for freestyle. Particularly if you didn't want the weight of Tuff wheels (mags).

gtwheelie4.png

Using brake pads coloured the same as the rims is important to minimize burning the rim sidewall. It doesn't eliminate it, but it does help a lot. Green pads on white rims are not the hot ticket - this I know from experience :roll:

-Mp

Latest posts

Back