SchwinnG!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I tore down my Schwinn cantilever bomber and dropped in my electrolytic dip tank to strip the paint. After a few days attached to a battery charger, the paint had all loosened up, so I stripped it, sanded and primered it yesterday. Today, I shot a base of Antique White on the areas that will remain that color in the final two-tone scheme:
SchwinnG01.jpg

Final paint will be silver blue with the antique white scalloped accents. I may pinstripe the edges to make everything pop and to tie in the stripes on my seat.

Meanwhile, my buddy lost the bolt on his coaster and thrashed the rear hub on the beater I'd built for him, so I have yet another project waiting for attention:
diamondback01.jpg

As I'm sure many of you already know, the Schwinn head badge and a standard wall-mounted bottle-opener have the same mounting pattern. I'm going to open up the holes in my head tube, and mount mine with brass rivets or maybe chicago screws.
SchwinnG02.jpg

Dunno if the little screws will have enough hold. I used one of those on a older build , "Black Rat". I used epoxy Putty to mount to the head tube.
DSCF3631.jpg

Chicago screws are what we used to call "T-bolts" in the old skateboarding days - a threaded sleeve is inserted from the back side, and a machine screw goes in from the front. They fit nearly flush, and if I put some Loctite on there, I figure they ought to hold up. A leather "gasket" behind it should not only frame it nicely, but should prevent it from rattling as well.

Painted the metallic blue hammertone, pulled the masks, and started pinstriping the accents with Sunburst orange. Not too happy with my brush technique, but I'll clean it up a little, and it's a rider - not a showbike.
schwinnG03.jpg
schwinnG04.jpg

Thanks Foooy, we'll see how long it stays nice.

Gave the ACS stem I scored a coat of Cast Bronze:
schwinnG05.jpg

Needed a split stem for the bars I bought (plus it has a late-seventies MX vibe)...now I'm hoping they show up by Jan 1st.

Almost there:
schwinng13.jpg

Details:
Schwinn script seat:
schwinng12.jpg

Shimano MX large flange coaster hub:
schwinng10.jpg

An old ACS in the front:
schwinng11.jpg

Had to do something with the kickstand boss:
schwinng06.jpg

Honda bars showed up in the mail today. Cut them down 2-1/2" on each side, primered them and put a first coat of paint on them... hopefully I'll have this thing rideable tomorrow.

pvwacko said:
I've been loving my single speed mountain bike... maybe it's time to find another old frame and really give the guys on the trails something to shake their heads at. Killer build by the way!

It's really an amazing thing to ride in total silence on a coaster bike - no cicada-like freewheel noise, no cables slapping the bars with every bump...
schwinng16.jpg

schwinng15.jpg

I can see the attraction of a fixie after building/riding this bike.

Got the opener mounted up front:
schwinng14.jpg

gowjobs said:
It's really an amazing thing to ride in total silence on a coaster bike - no cicada-like freewheel noise, no cables slapping the bars with every bump...
no snagging of drive chain in the underbrush, no packing or rim scarring from the brakes, no crunching or fumbling over an imperfectly timed shift...
:wink:

Back