Schwinndango the checkered history

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
another single speed middleweight i've had for a while It had a light weight schwinn rack i added with another seat post clamp and rubber shim it also had thrift store raised center wheel set, stingray forged stem, racer matress seat, large lucky seven sprocket and jaguar forks
schwinn.jpg

then i crafted the chainguard with alot of hours with masking tape and some spray bomb i also hogged out the rear mount and redrilled the front to get the thing to fit
IMG_0272.jpg

then S2s wheels built (ND rear hub)and stainless corvette fenders where added
IMG_0271.jpg

a basket and some black paint ND swaped for early Bendix with 22T screw on cog
Checker.jpg

then i swapped fenders and forks for blue schwinn units.
checksticker.jpg

looking pretty ratty...
schwinndango.jpg

Do you still have the black fork? Wanna sell it?

GTV said:
Do you still have the black fork? Wanna sell it?
any straight balloon fork i have i usualy swap for a bent and/or middle weight fork on another schwinn
but PM me and maybe we'll deal. :|

dogdart said:
This bike certainly has character
i was reading your cherry bomb build (awesome build BTW) and someone comented that a rat is never done but in this case i think that is wrong. a rat can be finished. Schwinndango finnished itself. and it deserves to stay that way even if it sells. Its just a middleweight schwinn with a good balence of stock parts. as you said it has character, and that is something that comes on its own, you dont mess with it. wadya think?

There are two sides to any build. It's like putting a custom paint job on a popular car. On one hand, you have a 57 Chevy (or whatever). On the other hand you have a purple 57 Chevy with pink fenders and milk-crate seats. Did it suit the guy that made it that way. Possibly, but will it suit the potential buyers? Eventually, it will suit one. Just might take longer. But if somebody needs fenders for a 57 Chevy, they will buy the pink ones, no doubt. Still an awesome build

ozzmonaut said:
There are two sides to any build. It's like putting a custom paint job on a popular car. On one hand, you have a 57 Chevy (or whatever). On the other hand you have a purple 57 Chevy with pink fenders and milk-crate seats. Did it suit the guy that made it that way. Possibly, but will it suit the potential buyers? Eventually, it will suit one. Just might take longer. But if somebody needs fenders for a 57 Chevy, they will buy the pink ones, no doubt. Still an awesome build
i wouldn't equate a middleweight schwinn with a tri five chevy more like a 68 and later VW bug. maybe they peformed better etc. but they don't have the cache of a funkyer early model.
i could part this out but there would be a lot of the middle weight to sell
the stem headset hubs rims etc on this bike are all upgrades but the value of the bike is its funky vibe not its parts
BTW i had a pair of pink and purple Vans back in the day...

kenji said:
i wouldn't equate a middleweight schwinn with a tri five chevy more like a 68 and later VW bug.

Ouch!!
I don't understand all the hate towards Schwinns, and especially cantilever framed Schwinns. If it wasn't a beautiful frame, it wouldn't have been copied millions of times all over the world. That frame flows like no other. And ballon tires in a middleweight frame look tough!

GTV said:
kenji said:
i wouldn't equate a middleweight schwinn with a tri five chevy more like a 68 and later VW bug.

Ouch!!
I don't understand all the hate towards Schwinns, and especially cantilever framed Schwinns. If it wasn't a beautiful frame, it wouldn't have been copied millions of times all over the world. That frame flows like no other. And ballon tires in a middleweight frame look tough!

there are schwinn cantailever frames that are heavy weitght they have the same lines and are more desireable than the middle weights. just as in the vw bug comparison. the 67 bug is the most desireable and sought after by racers. the 68 and later might have had IRS and DP heads and performed better stock as the middle weights did but they are not as popular

i will say that middleweights can be made to look cool...as Shwinndango is :wink:
and if your a big MW fan you'd better go over to
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68614
and give it a bump to the top

Reflecting back on the whole middle weight thing I remember seeing a custom built tool while working at a bike shop in the eighties.
It was meant to be inserted between the seat stays of a bike to dimple the fame and spread the stays at the tire location to provide clearance for ballon tires has any one seen one used?

Back