Schwinn typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WELL - had a small accident today while trying to get the rusty pedals off , my pedal wrench slipped , i fell forward onto the bike , knocking it off the stand , and gashing my arm kinda bad .....the frame is mostly stripped , but still have the bottom bracket and crank to bust loose ... the stem looked to be a 314 - isnt that a wald stem ? its wierd case had an AS bolt .....anyone know if the pedals can be disassembled and rebuilt ? ....ive decided the paint is just too bad , the more i try and clean it the more comes off , decals are almost gone , so it looks like this bike is going to get the whole 9 yards , complete restoration ( greeeaatt , more money , more money, more money ) ...i also cant seem to get the badge screws to come loose , blasted them over and over again , any advice there ? ...........i assume that the sunlight one piece american crank and bearing set will fit this bike? i will of course keep my chain ring ....

the original color

032_zps1df2c773.jpg

the 314

036_zps6d139b0b.jpg

whats left of original chain, LOL

037_zps93942645.jpg

pedals in question
047_zpse096c9db.jpg

the bars i want - these are on a new schwinn admiral 700c bike - cant find these for sale anywhere , any help ?

027_zps5498c9d0.jpg

They used the basic wald stems on the cheaper bikes back then. Had to bump the price up to get the cast ones.

As far as the pedals go, I would just replace them for the amount of aggravation involved with those pedals.

The sunlite one piece cranks will work, typically I try to get the "black ops" brand one-piece cranks (the logo rubs right off with a little polishing), a little bit closer to the originals in looks and the quality is nice too.

Last edited:
I believe you can buy those Admiral bars by calling Pacific Cycle. I'm fairly certain they sell the parts for their bikes via phone. The Admiral bars are cool looking as are the bars on the Huffy Regatta's.

Here's a pic of a 1960 Tornado frame I had for a little while. Notice the double straight-bar and seat stays don't meet like the 61' and 62' frames.

Back