schwinn twin fin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone know anything about this bike?the only thing i found is that it was given to twin fin winery resteraunts fo display,says schwinn but im thinkin wally type pacific schwinn
00w0w_kNMpYh1fM1z_600x450.jpg

If it were a "real" Schwinn (or Huffy for that matter) would it have that style of front fork? I tend to think of any Schwinn without the old style fork to be a Chinese bike that is a Schwinn (or Huffy) in name only. Is that a fair assumption, or are there other visual clues?

You are referring to the blade forks?
images

That's a good sign that it's an American made Schwinn. Those on the twin fin are a sure sign it's chinese, as are the dropouts, where the rear wheel bolts on. American Schwinn (and other brands) have their own style dropouts. This is the classic Schwinn made in chicago:
serial-number-location.png

Notice also the smoothed welds at the head tube and the rear chain guard mount on the lower tube or chain stay. Those are giveaways that it's an American Schwinn.

Schwinn also made some cruisers with BMX style forks too:
images

And some had springers:
upload_2019-2-19_9-25-49.jpeg

Some of the models produced after the Chicago plant closed down in 83 look very similar but were made in China. There were some made in another state for a year or two also. The serial numbers are the way to ID an American bike for sure. Usually on the left rear dropout with the code Schwinn used to ID the year. From 53-83 they are found on the dropout. Before 53, the number is on the bottom bracket.
download.jpg

http://re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

Thanks. I was thinking the welds would likely tell, but they aren't always easy to see in photos. Hadn't noticed the rear dropouts before, but I see what you mean.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

All the American bikes have a distinct dropout design.

You should be able to find a Chicago Schwinn easy enough. CL usually has a few old cruisers that go pretty cheap. One drawback is the old S-7 wheels, they won't take a standard tire, there's limited choices to new tires. But standard wheels fit those frames and you can put wider tires on if you wanted.
I like the 2.125 beach cruiser type tires instead of the 1.75 middleweight tires. That's what I put on my 80 Typhoon. Fender clearance might be an issue though.

2zso5g3.jpg

Latest posts

Back