Schwinn Truss Rod length help needed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, got some truss rods for my 26'' schwinn balloon tire about a year back and bought them being told they were 26'', they are to short, so I'm guessing they are 24'' ? I was wonderging if anyone could tell me what size they are by the photos ( 20's 24 or 26 )I will have to sell these on, but I don't want to sell them with the wrong size listed.Hopefully a fellow rat rodder can help me out with what size bike they would go on.

Thanks Charlie

DSC_2071.jpg

DSC_2066.jpg

where are you measuring from?
I have two sets sitting above my desk and one set didn't fit quite well.
Anyhow, they are both 22" from end to end with the measuring tape following the curve. I had one set on a DX 26" bike.
Abe

abe lugo said:
where are you measuring from?
I have two sets sitting above my desk and one set didn't fit quite well.
Anyhow, they are both 22" from end to end with the measuring tape following the curve. I had one set on a DX 26" bike.
Abe

Hi Abe, Im measuring from the very top of the Upper Clamp hole to the very end of the rods, like below.It messures approx 21''.So your messuring just the rod and not with clamp?

DSC_2074.jpg

I'm measuring the truss rods by themsleves end to end, the clamps should all be the same. the size difference is in the truss rod length, it seems you have a set of 24" bike ones. I actually had a set of those but didn't measure them, though they were shorter than the ones I have at work.

abe lugo said:
I'm measuring the truss rods by themsleves end to end, the clamps should all be the same. the size difference is in the truss rod length, it seems you have a set of 24" bike ones. I actually had a set of those but didn't measure them, though they were shorter than the ones I have at work.

Have just taken them apart and the rods measure 21'' end to end.So would these be for a 24'' bike?

I just measured a set I have for a 26" bike and they are 21 1/2". I'm not sure what bike yours would be from. Middleweight rods are longer than balloon rods so maybe yours are for a 24" middleweight. Gary

Thanks very much Gary! Yeah, I guess they would be for a 24''.I'm not sure what bike they came off, so will have to just put measurements and pictures when selling.Thanks again

What is the length of the frame headtube? I think there is a difference in some models, a half inch would make a big difference, looks like yours are 3/4 of an inch short. You might also be able to make up the difference by taking out some of the bend (carefully) of the rods and adding a little angle to the top bracket.

Back