Schwinn Suburban Dilema

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a schwinn suburban that I replaced the rear wheel with a 27"coaster brake wheel from Harris Cycles. The bike looks nice with the new wheel, but now I cannot use the coaster brake because the it has some type of ratchet system on the bottom bracket where you can pedal backwards like a freewheel. I guess it was used while shifting gears. I have the hand brakes on it, but I bought the wheel to make it a clean sleek single speed. My question is, can a regular schwinn bottom bracket fit the one that is on there so I can take off the hand brakes and use the coaster? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sakimoto :mrgreen:

IIRC, they had, for a short time, that 'freewheel' built into the BB rather than the rear hub (a stopgap solution that never really panned out?).
Schwinn stuff is so available and cheap around here (but maybe not where you are) that you could buy a whole bike and strip the parts to find out, and not be out much if it didnt work.
Were it me, Id pull that BB apart and check out what all those bits are and do, and be able to measure it all up to search out parts. You might even be able to sell that bunch of bits to somebody who really needs them.

Latest posts

Back