Schwinn Suburban 5 speed conversion???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to convert a Suburban to single speed? What items would be needed and from where? Could I get a coaster brake wheel for it in 27 inch? Would it need the Crank changed? I'M SO CONFUSED!!
Any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

I recently built a bike for my wife going the other way, coaster brake to 7 speed. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38386

All you should need to do is add your new wheel set, 1/8" chain instead of the 3/32", and ride away.

The wider chain will fit on the original sprocket, but it would not hurt to replace it with a single speed sprocket, the wider chain might be more likely to jump off the narrow sprocket.

You'll also have to squeeze the drop outs together a bit since the single speed hub will be a bit narrower than the original.

Hey sakimoto, I'm seriously considering the same approach with my Suburban. Have you made any progress yet?
Thx

Saki.... such a conversion is one of the easiest things you can do.... and it's one of the best. That frame is great.

Harris Cyclery has a whole series of web pages devoted to converting bikes to single speeds or fixies, and they have all of the pieces you'll need. Basically, all you need to do is swap out your freewheel cassette for a single sprocket, remove the deraillieur, and shorten the chain. In the real world though, there's a little more to it.

First, there are 3 types of set-ups you can build 1-a fixie where the rear sprocket is fixed to the back wheel so that there is no freewheel, which means you cannot coast without pedalling. 2- a single sprocket freewheel where you CAN coast and 3- a coaster brake which works just like the cruiser bike wheel. The choice is yours, but from experience I can tell you that you'll be better served with options 2 or 3, and NOT with a fixed gear. They are a first class pain in the backside to ride.

My personal preference is for a Coaster Brake..... and Harris Cyclery sells a 27" coaster brake rear wheel that will fit your bike perfectly. It's pretty inexpensive, and makes for a very clean looking set-up.

I got the 27" with coaster brake from harris. I had some trouble with the order. They shipped the wheel without the sprocket. Then I got the sprocket when I emailed them. I then was going to install the wheel when I noticed it was a presto valve rim!!! I got so frustrated that I carefully drilled the hole to fit my shrader valve. Also I took it apart to remove all the inferior chinese-tiawanese grease. I have noticed that any type of bicycle product coming from that part of the world is not grease at all, but petroleum jelly with grit in it. I guess they want the wheel to wear out so you can by another one in about 6 months. I cleaned all the parts and put some american hight temp., waterproof, high pressure grease. Now it is fine and runs smooth. Take care everyone. :mrgreen:

I am wanting 27" coaster wheels as well. I want to convert an old racing frame to a early 1900's lookalike. I'll have to check harris as well, but thanks for the heads up on the grease situation, as I haven't really dealt with new foreign production wheels at all.

I do a lot of Schwinn resto-mod conversions.... especially old 27" 10 speeds to 26" 3 speed Shimano Nexus w coaster brakes, and they always work out perfectly.

With such a conversion, you get the "cool factor" of the older frame and the easy-shifting, good ride of the modern wheels. When used with 26 x 1.5" tires, you can build a very fast and comfortable bike..... plus you get a very clean looking set-up since you only have one cable for the shifter. On my latest project, I'm routing the cable inside the frame..... so it'll be even cleaner!

Since you have a coaster brake, you can dispense with the brake levers, cables and calipers and thus don't have to worry about long reach calipers or anything like that.

You do loose a little bit of ground clearance with such a swap since the 26" wheels are a little smaller, but it's only .5" or so.... and in the real world you'll never notice it.

The same conversion also works well for cruiser bikes..... you just use a little wider tire. I've got a '53 Schwinn resto-mod that rides like a new Electra!

Latest posts

Back