***schwinn streamline aerocycle***

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya fella's...been working all summer (roofing contractor) instead of building bikes so I haven't been back much since I joined.
Just today I found my holy grail of vintage bikes (yes, of course in an old barn)...an original schwinn streamline aerocycle.
Rotted red tires and grips but fairly intact leather seat. Everything is there...

Now just trying to figure out how to obtain it from the homeowner? Any ideas? The barn is almost falling down and ready to
crush the contents, so time is of the essence. How many were made between '33-'36? What should I offer the man? How do
I go about it without scaring him off?

Now that "American Picker's" is such a hit it seems most folks are pretty wary of their possessions...ANY help/ideas would be
appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!! Photo's tomorrow...hopefully.

Jason

That's a tough question, it depends entirely on the mood of the owner. I would say I wanted it so I could have my own cruiser, not for resale. I'd be telling the truth too. I'd say I have wheels and tires from a broken beach cruiser that will go right on it, and still be telling the truth. They hate it when it looks like you are going to make money off it.

Do you have a kid :?: Then you can tell them that he LOVES old bicycles :roll: :roll: All I know is that you need to save that bike :mrgreen:

BELIEVE me, I'm all about restoring this one! I've got a women's pre-war '22 I've been working on for quite a while now, but this blows all my bikes away!
I've even got a couple sets of restoration balloon tires in my shop that match perfect :) We've already done work for him before so there's a pretty good
relationship to start with...just seems like the kind of guy that hangs onto everything. Guess I'll just ask him if he has any plans for them (there's also a 3 speed Hercules in good shape) and see where it goes from there...

Assuming it is what it is, thats a high dollar bike in any condition, but the better the condition the higher the dollars. On something like that I would think long and hard about what it was worth to me, what it would cost to fix it up and give my best offer right off the bat, even if they don't know squat about it. If they seem offended at the offer, walk away knowing you gave your best, if they act excited about it just let them know how you came up with the offer, and what you know about the bike... most will appreciate you being upfront. Lowball them and they may do some research themselves and feel like you might be trying to take them.

As far as finding out who owns it, go to the county treasurer and see who pays the taxes. Ask the neighbors. If they moved, try to find out where too and try the phone book. It used to be pretty simple before everyone started using cell phones and ditching land lines though. Good Luck !!! and please show some pics if you get the chance.

just my two cents

Okay, so the drama continues...was unable meet with the homeowner today, hopefully tomorrow. As we all say "pics or it didn't happen"...so here ya go :D

IMG_2251 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2252 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2254 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2256 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2257 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2260 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2258 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2263 by [email protected], on Flickr

IMG_2262 by [email protected], on Flickr

Added more photo's. I'll keep you posted as to the results tomorrow...Thanks for all the input fellas!

swami89 said:
Added more photo's. I'll keep you posted as to the results tomorrow...Thanks for all the input fellas!

Good luck, I hope you get it. That's absolutely incredible, a dream bike for many of us I'm sure.

I'd be willing to bet you'll be the first rrb member to own one, if you get it.

You lucky dog. :wink: That truly is a work of art...

Hope you end up with it. Just let the guy know your intentions before any prices are thrown out there. And by all means if the owner wont sell... convince him he needs to store it in a better place.

If that barn falls down.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

That's in amazing condition. If you do end up getting it, I would leave the sandpaper alone and not think about restoration. :lol: Just my two cents.

schwinnmesa said:
That's in amazing condition. If you do end up getting it, I would leave the sandpaper alone and not think about restoration. :lol: Just my two cents.

i agree. its just not the same looking at them restored when theyre still holding that much beauty. its hard to watch em get stripped down and repainted. i would hand polish the heck outta it wax to protect. just our 4 cents :mrgreen:. take Rat Rods class. hes unbelievable with elbow grease :shock:!

When I first saw this post I thought that it was another boy who cried wolf :mrgreen:
I guess I should learn to have more faith in my fellow ratrodders. I know if I was in your shoes I would be going crazy. No way I could sleep, paranoia about who might find out.
I think I would be camping outside the old building 8)
Good luck and I hope you are able to find the owner and strike a deal before Mike Wolfe finds out about it :D

MAN !!!!!! I'm envious also. Tailwinds couldn't have said it any better! Thats the kind of stuff that keeps us all looking. Looks like a pretty clean early 50's Hercules in front of it. Get that too! Best of luck acquiring that sweet Schwinn :mrgreen:

Back