Schwinn s4 tire help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this really sweet schwinn s4 wheel it's mint and it has a new departure hub and heavy duty spokes but I'm having a huge problem finding a tire that will fit on it I have however found that a 650 b tire will fit which is primarily a mountain bike size and I'm looking for a street tread about 2 inches wide any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

....unless you need a race-ready studded folding tire, in which case you can get the Ice Spiker Pro Folding, for $172/tire...:rockout::crazy::rockout:

Another option I was thinking of I have a 24" schwinn s7 on my bike now and a 26" s7 in the front so I was thinking If I could find a fatter tire for the 24" on the rear it would look pretty cool it just sucks dealing with schwinn specific size wheels right now it has the 24 x 1 3/4 (47 - 520) so maybe like a 50something-520 ?

Finding a 50-something 520 will be super hard. Finding a fat 24 in the 507 flavor is incredibly easy.

Yes, an s4 is a 584, aka 650b, 26x1 1/2", 27.5", and probably other bone-stupid aliases. I like the ETRTO or ISO sizing, where you express the tire size by the most important measurement: the diameter where the bead sits on the rim. Ppl go looking for a "27.5" tire, there's a good chance they'll come home with a 630 ("27 inch") instead of a 584. Ppl go looking for a 650b, they might mess up and get a 650A (590) or a 650C (571) instead. Millimeters are universal; the fact that we've come up with like 4 names for a 584 that have the potential to cause confusion whereas a 584 is really pretty cut-n-dry, well, that's just frustrating. Is it a 27.5", or a 26x1 1/2", or a 650, or a 4? It's not any of those, at all. I mean, it MIGHT be a 27.5 if the tire is fat, or it MIGHT be a 26x1 1/2 or a 650 if it's kinda skinny.... but having a standard way of discussing this will save these threads and the confusion...

Finding a 50-something 520 will be super hard. Finding a fat 24 in the 507 flavor is incredibly easy.

Yes, an s4 is a 584, aka 650b, 26x1 1/2", 27.5", and probably other bone-stupid aliases. I like the ETRTO or ISO sizing, where you express the tire size by the most important measurement: the diameter where the bead sits on the rim. Ppl go looking for a "27.5" tire, there's a good chance they'll come home with a 630 ("27 inch") instead of a 584. Ppl go looking for a 650b, they might mess up and get a 650A (590) or a 650C (571) instead. Millimeters are universal; the fact that we've come up with like 4 names for a 584 that have the potential to cause confusion whereas a 584 is really pretty cut-n-dry, well, that's just frustrating. Is it a 27.5", or a 26x1 1/2", or a 650, or a 4? It's not any of those, at all. I mean, it MIGHT be a 27.5 if the tire is fat, or it MIGHT be a 26x1 1/2 or a 650 if it's kinda skinny.... but having a standard way of discussing this will save these threads and the confusion...
Thanks for the brake down that's very helpful

Hey, no problem. Once you get used to the ISO system with the MM, you'll never buy the wrong tire again.... makes it a lot faster to search for'm online, too. Just type in 50-584 tire, and you'll get a pile of tires, most of which will be the right size....

Latest posts

Back