Schwinn Rat Tandem Finished pics 4/25

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A friend asked me to look for a tandem that she could give as a gift to her boyfriend. I didn't have any leads, but I did have some old frames in the bone pile. The boys bikes both were damaged pretty bad, but luckily the portion of the frames that I needed was OK.
seat002.jpg

Here is a pic of the bones
seat003.jpg

Here is a pic of the first mockup. I was going to use the seatpost from the old CWC bike for a handlebar mount.
Here is a pic of the final mockup. It took a bunch of work with the torch, but its just about ready to mount in the jig and weld up.
parts046.jpg

Re: Schwinn Rat Tandem

Good start. How big is your pile? maybe you need to come over to the Boise Swap. It is usually the first Sunday in June.

Made some progress on the tandem build.
tandem002.jpg

Here is a pic of the frame on the makeshift jig I built
tandem003.jpg

Here is a pic of the bike with the frame welded up and on wheels.
Next on the list is the drivetrain.

cman said:
Good start. How big is your pile? maybe you need to come over to the Boise Swap. It is usually the first Sunday in June.
Hey Cman, Did my wife pay you to post that comment :D She thinks my pile is too big :mrgreen:
I may try to come up for the swap.

Anybody who states they have a pile or stash either "outback of the shed" or "up in the attic" has more than I do.

I want to get the swap scheduled earlier as I always do not know if I will make it.

I finally got the drivetrain parts installed (Thanks REC) and finished most of the mockup. I still need to figure out a chain tensioner and a mount for the rear bars.
rattandem002.jpg

Almost ready to blow it apart and get oout the rattle can 8)

2manybikes said:
I finally got the drivetrain parts installed (Thanks REC) and finished most of the mockup. I still need to figure out a chain tensioner and a mount for the rear bars.
photo snipped
Almost ready to blow it apart and get oout the rattle can 8)

That looks pretty cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you can get a local shop to order one for you, there is a tandem tensioner from J&B thsat isn't too expensiive, and then you would only need to weld a slotted bracket on for it to mount.

Keep postin' progress!

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

rat royale said:
That looks pretty cool! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you can get a local shop to order one for you, there is a tandem tensioner from J&B thsat isn't too expensiive, and then you would only need to weld a slotted bracket on for it to mount.

Keep postin' progress!

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
Thanks for the comments guys :) I found a rear deralliiuer that I am going to rob the cage off of. If it doesn't work I will try J&B and see if my LBS will order one.

Thanks to Unchained (Chris) I got the drivetrain finished up. I tried to use a hacked up rear derallieur but it was pretty sketchy. Chris had this idler from a tandem and was kind enough to sell it to me cheap. I fabbed up a quick channel mount so now all I need to do is get out the rattle can :) Stay Tuned
oload002.jpg

same.. but what color are you going to paint it?

wow! looks very pro! you could pass it off as thats always been a tandem!

2manybikes said:
Thanks to Unchained (Chris) I got the drivetrain finished up. I tried to use a hacked up rear derallieur but it was pretty sketchy. Chris had this idler from a tandem and was kind enough to sell it to me cheap. I fabbed up a quick channel mount so now all I need to do is get out the rattle can :) Stay Tuned

Hey Mark,

That is looking nice! It's nice to see that the idler worked exactly as you needed it to. I wish i knew that you needed a channel mount for it... I had that too! I assumed you were just replacing the idler on a factory tandem. (And to think I almost made a handlebar ornament out of that idler! :mrgreen:) Nice work! The finished bike is drop dead GORGEOUS. :D

Mark,
That came out VERY nice! I bet she was really happy with it, and more than that, has a big grin on the face while cruisin' on it!

BEAUTIFUL job....

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Thanks for the comments.
Yeah Rec she was stoked, I took some pictures of her riding and she had a great big grin :mrgreen:
I didn't make a ton of money but just seeing her smile made my day.

Latest posts

Back