schwinn OCC chopper stripping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to strip out the freewheel and the cranks from 2 schwinn OCC choppers. Well, one Schwinn and one iZip, which appears to be made with almost exactly the same components as the schwinn.

i used a crank puller to get the cranks off one side of the iZip but the left side, without the sprocket, is damaged so the crank puller won't thread into it.

The OCC has a bent left side crank arm but i might try and straighten it if i can get it off of there, and then i'll leave the iZip's left crank where it's at.

sprocket on crank arm - can i get this thing off? or is it welded to the crank itself? i really only "need" the sprocket, as i wanted to make my 12-speed into a single speed by way of using the OCC sprocket.

the freeeeewheeeeel... i have a freewheel tool that opened up the freewheel and spilled bearings all over. LOL. ok the tool didnt do it, I did, but still. Now the freewheel is apart but part of it seems to not want to come off the wheel!

final goal, i wanted to use the cranks and freewheel and put them on my 12speed, converting it into a single speed.

i'm wondering if i should part these two OCC's out and go a different route for cranks/freewheel?

i'm a noob to these single speed conversions.

If its a 3 piece crank, you need a crank puller, or a bottom bracket tool it might be called.
Like this, $15
crank-puller-ccp-2-from-park-tool-usa.jpg

Sinner4 said:
If its a 3 piece crank, you need a crank puller, or a bottom bracket tool it might be called.
Like this, $15
crank-puller-ccp-2-from-park-tool-usa.jpg
yea i have one of those, it pulled the cranks out of the bike frame but the sprocket is still attached to the crank itself. i can't figure how to get if off of the crank.

the cool thing about the iZip back wheel is that the izip was originally motorized so there's a sprocket on both sides of the wheel. the left side is a fixed sprocket, i'm not sure how many teeth but it's spaced closer together than my chain or i'd flip the tire and make a fixie out of it. the right side of the wheel is freewheel.

looks like i have a "special" freewheel. a Falcon freewheel, that's hard to find a remover for. it looks like this...

Falcon.jpg

i'm taking the wheel to the lbs tomorrow to see what they can do with it.

dunno

yea now i have people on my other forum trying to talk me out of making my $10 bike into a single speed because "it's not worth the trouble, you have to re-dish your wheel, etc, blah blah"

I wish i knew more about this. hopefully i'm not causing more trouble for myself than this bike is worth. i really like what schwinnmesa did over here http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 10&t=27629 and that's almost exactly what i'm going for - take an old 12 speed and make it into a single speed with bmx type freewheel. although i dont need the fancy seat or handlebars. i'm keeping the seat, for now, and keeping the original curved handlebars too, and MAYBE the brake levers. i did come across some bmx brake levers the other day so that might change.

Back