Schwinn large Headbadge?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where do you guys get your schwinn headbadges? I've looked around and can't seem to locate them. Ebay has some but they are around $30 :shock: That seems excessive to me. I need to get a large one (I think) for a 59 frame. Preferably in black and white or black and chrome.

For a '59 Middleweight, you would just need the standard smaller Aluminum badge, but if it's a Balloon tire bike, it will take the larger Brass one, which you are right, is expensive.
http://www.memorylane-classics.com/ has the smaller ones under "bike parts" > "headbadges" for $12.00, it's the same badge you can get off of any Schwinn from about the late 50's- to mid 80's, but if it's the bigger one, welcome to the expenisve world of needing that "one part".
:wink:

I think the 50s model bikes had the wider badge with the thicker letters.

My 1960 Spitfire had the wider badge...similar to the Phantom headbadges.

Here's the thicker model...

tn_IMG_1943.jpg

And then the thinner model...

Stingray%20HeadBadge%20White.JPG

Are the badges measured from the screw holes? Are they just called small and large or are they called something more specific that I can search for? Thanks guys :)

speaking of... just bought one of the smaller headbadges on ebay. I thought, the mounting holes are all the same, didnt know there is a small badge and big badge. Now Im left with this small headbadge that wont fit my 61 tornado.

Yeah. I almost did the same thing before I thought to check here. Glad I did it seems like the older headbadge is hard to come by. Still looking.

I believe they went to the smaller badge in '62. It started with the plastic 'starburst' badge used in 61-2. Also, later small badges have "Chicago" under the bottom screw hole. I want to say it changed in 63 or 65.. They repopped the bigger badges in the 90's, but they were stick-on. Always full of 'useless' bike trivia!! ~Adam

Back