Schwinn Heavy Duti..discuss.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been on the lookout for a Schwinn middleweight Heavy Duti, circa 1970-78. May have an opportunity this weekend to purchase this one which I've been told is a 1978, original owner. Any thoughts or impressions appreciated. Guess I'm just torn as I've had so much fun being on search mode :D

Have to start somewhere, it had me at "industrial plant use."

they use these and the Workman bikes down here in the plants in Pasadena. I looked at one new, seems like they said the rims& spokes were heavier to take more abuse. id buy it if it wasnt real high

Looks good, the fenders look pretty straight, and Chicago Schwinn chrome is pretty tough, it will probably shine right up. If the wheels are straight, I'd say $75 to $100 would be reasonable, you can't get a quality bike for anywhere near that price.

Haevy Duty refers to the wheels. My son kicks one around as his rat/board tracker. Many used bikes have tags welded on them to let other plant folks know who's is who's. I bought a Worksman and traded the wheelset to my 50's Speedster. I like the look, and the ride. I'd say 50-100 bux is a good price.
here's a pic of my son's tag
DSC07755.jpg

If the rims and fork are straight, I'd at least consider dropping up to 150 on that, still WAY better buy than you're gonna get new. I'd try for less, obviously. If those wheels are S-7s you'll be limited to Schwinn specific middleweight tires that have to be ordered and waited for, makes it's value a little lower than S-2 equipped. If you can't see the rim markings, S-7s have 1 3/4" tires, S-2 use decimal ratings. :|

Very helpful posts, thank you everyone. Hope to get a close look this weekend, great to be more informed
and learning rational patience with my quest.

Thanks deorman, looks like S-7's on the '78.

If it's the bike you want, I'd pay a little more instead of kicking myself for letting it go. I paid $65 for my 80 Typhoon frame by itself, no wheels, but that's the exact bike and color I had been looking for, so it was well worth it.

2edr29f.jpg

34fo8sy.jpg

Follow up: Bike was just too weathered for the owner's firm 200 price point. No original seat and paint was thrashed, I had to pass on this one.
Still on the prowl 8)

Back