Schwinn HD road side freebie Gulf Bike Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fixing to get real.
jy6ajeby.jpg

Slow progress this weekend. Had to work. The blue is on the frame. I removed the tape but might try and get one more coat on some places that are not as smooth as I would like. Forks are ready for stripes and finishing. Off the next two days so I should be starting with some orange on the frame.
yba9ymam.jpg
nuhumady.jpg

Forks striped and lacquered. Maybe one more lacquer pass and they will be finished. Frame lacks striping and sanding before lacquer. Wheels are getting close to complete also. Can't wait till the paint part is done. Ugh.
ajegetab.jpg
jysy6u5a.jpg

Found this sick old Columbia chain guard and sprocket this morning. I just gotta make this guard fit.
a3e4u2ud.jpg

So minor set back but lessons learned I guess. The forks are done and look great. The wheels just need a little finish work but are done for the most part. Pinstriped the frame and ruined the orange by taping it up too soon. :( Hopefully this weekend I can sand down the orange and spray it again. The tank plates are finally cut out and I have to start on those. Can't wait to finally have this thing sitting upright on the wheels to figure out how I will finish it. What I wouldn't do for a heated downdraft spray booth.
rumuqa7y.jpg

Well I'm not sure the culprit but I have to back up a bit. Started stripping the orange from the frame. It just won't dry. Not sure if its just a bad can or bad application. Either way the orange is getting resprayed. The blue has one coat of lacquer and looks not bad. Changing up a couple spots on the striping to get better lines out of it. Upset about the setback but feeling hopeful that it will come out clean this next go round. So another week or two on paint before I can start assembling her and picking parts. :(

Getting real close to starting assembly. Need to order tires. If there are any photoshop masters out there I really need help seeing these tires with this rim. Any help would be really appreciated.
uru5e6up.jpg
8e6yje9e.jpg

Well it's been a while since any real progress posted. Weather and work really slowed me down. Frame needs just a little more touching up and it's ready for lacquer. Tank plates are looking good. Just need to finish taping these off and spraying them. Hopefully after spraying the stripes they will stay looking as nice.
erehesyr.jpg

So I'm debating on buying a new bike just for parts. This Kent Lajolla Walmart special is about $90. I can use the seat, crank, handlebars, and fenders for sure on my build. Might op for a better seat. The orange wheels may also be an option if I don't like the blue ones. Is it worth me buying this one for parts or just or just buy the individual parts I need? Just not sure.
nymeze9e.jpg

First chance to mess with it in a while. The paint on the frame will continue to be a pain in the butt till the bitter end. Always a few blisters somewhere. I'm settling with less than perfection on some of the striping. Just getting tired of cleaning them up. Little more touching up and the frame should be done. It's really close. Tank plates are complete. Won't put the decals on till the bike is assembled and level but here's a teaser.
yjasasys.jpg
8ady2age.jpg
gagy4yge.jpg

Back