Schwinn Exercise Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I scored another Schwinn Exercise Bike.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 10
For the coppertone/chrome steel disc wheels some had pads that are about 2" x 4" with a plastic back and a large felt pad. Are those rubber or felt pads on yours? But I've seen those with both styles of pads.

The older "Exerciser" had a steel rim, plastic spoke covers, a solid rubber tire and used a regular size pad with felt pads.

Felt was used for smoothnees and to keep it quieter. Rubber pads would be very grabby.

I've scrapped out a few Schwinn exercisers. I built a couple of bikes using the parts.

Bonus photo from the www

Crash victim

Schwinn Exercisers - many a young boy's introduction to the concept of fixed gears.

A common occurance in the shop. Kid comes in with parent(s). Parent(s) let's the kid wander off and do whatever because, you know, the bike shop staff will babysit for a while. Kid hops on an exercisor. Slips his feet under the straps on the pedals. Turns down the tension, spins it up as fast as he can get it spinning. Stops pedaling. Gets a quick lesson in inertia when he finds out there is no "coasting" on an exercisor. Hilarity ensues as he goes into rag doll mode as that flywheel (and crank) just keeps on spinning no matter what his little feet want to do. In all seriousness I'm amazed no one got seriously hurt in the years I worked there.

Pro tip - the tension knobs are not held down, if you pull up on them it applies the brakes and ends the show.

The Airdynes were a different story. They didn't have the flywheel effect since they just moved a lot of air. Which on at least one occassion resulted in an impromptu re-enactment of that photo of Marylin Monroe standing over the grate. Turns out a long skirt with a slit up the side probably isn't the best attire for using one. Who knew?

For the coppertone/chrome steel disc wheels some had pads that are about 2" x 4" with a plastic back and a large felt pad. Are those rubber or felt pads on yours? But I've seen those with both styles of pads.

The older "Exerciser" had a steel rim, plastic spoke covers, a solid rubber tire and used a regular size pad with felt pads.

Felt was used for smoothnees and to keep it quieter. Rubber pads would be very grabby.

I've scrapped out a few Schwinn exercisers. I built a couple of bikes using the parts.

Bonus photo from the www

Crash victim

Epic 20”: how’s that monster chainring feel (ride) on the road bike / 10 speed?

how’s that monster chainring feel (ride) on the road bike / 10 speed?
Works out to a 98 inch gear. About the same as top gear on most old school 10 speed bikes.

Latest posts

Back