Schwinn Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this Schwinn Cruiser last night cheap off Craigslist. Its in pretty good shape, not too much rust, and what rust is there isn't too deep. Going to clean it up this week and try to decide what direction to go with it. The stem actually says Giant, the guy I bought it from said in the 80's Giant made parts for Schwinn? I didn't question it but figured he might have been passing off a parts swap. It has Shimano gears and shifts well. Has decent tires and new tubes, only has a rear brake.

I can't decide which way to go with this build. Single speed coaster with whitewalls and mini apes, or leave the gears and go klunker? I'm considering giving it a good prep and spraying it satin black, but I may just leave it scarred and ratty.

IMG_8267.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_9097.jpg

IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

Going to tear it down today and start the cleaning process, will hopefully have it rolling again by the weekend.

i like it in the gold wheels. just out of curiousity i thought you could tell the age on shcwinns by the placement of the vin numbers. i thought in the early 70's they switched the vin numbers to the headtube. if your frame is form the 80's wouldent it be on the headtube? i couldent see it from the pictures. is it older or am i just mistaken. im no expert... but looks like a nice bike congrats on it. and again i relaly like the gold wheels :D

chaunceysj said:
i like it in the gold wheels. just out of curiousity i thought you could tell the age on shcwinns by the placement of the vin numbers. i thought in the early 70's they switched the vin numbers to the headtube. if your frame is form the 80's wouldent it be on the headtube? i couldent see it from the pictures. is it older or am i just mistaken. im no expert... but looks like a nice bike congrats on it. and again i relaly like the gold wheels :D
I honestly have no idea on the age, I'm taking the word of the guy I bought it from- he said he looked up the number printed on the badge and it was an 85. There is also a number stamped on the dropout, I'll check and see what I can dig up. 85 seems right from the decals though, they looked very mid-80's.

The gold rims were from a Murray Monterey, which also had a gold fork and chainring. I liked the gold but the finish on both the rims and fork were pretty beat up. I might keep the gold rims for the Murray- build it as a klunker, all black with the gold rims and chainring. I'm not digging the gold rims with the chrome chainring and bars. Thanks for the input though, I'm looking forward to this build.

sweet find! yup, in the 80's giant was makin schwinn's and that looks like one of em, you can tell by the BMX style forks! good stuff!!! :D

scrumblero said:
sweet find! yup, in the 80's giant was makin schwinn's and that looks like one of em, you can tell by the BMX style forks! good stuff!!! :D
Yep mid 80's stuff. Giant was makin some of Schwinns bikes at the time mostly mountian bikes. Schwinn was still makin some stuff here at there Tenn. factory :? They didn't make everything like they did in the old days. I got one just like that a couple of years ago.. came from Rocky Flats, here in colorado.

Today I confirmed that the Cruiser is indeed an 85 from the headbadge stamp. I swapped out the bars with my wife's Hollywood and put on a set of chrome wheels with whitewall Kendas, I like this setup better. My new (old) seat should be here soon, and then all I lack is a coaster brake hub, chain, and grips.

IMG_8006.jpg

Back