Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought myself a Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe last week and I'm very please with it. Its black and chrome with deep fenders, rack, fenderlight etc. I think its about 15-20 years old... The only thing I would like to change is the crank and chainring as it is black. I want to swap it for a chrome one and would in an ideal world like to put a vintage skiptooth chainring on too. Is it a straight swap? Am i right in thinking that an inch pitch skiptooth with run on a standard chain?
schwinn2.jpg

dogdart said:
An original skip tooth sprocket is thicker , and a regular chain will not fit
However if you wanted to have a skiptooth look you can grind off every other tooth (assuming it's an even # of teeth) should be a 44 tooth so it will work. I did that on my "Bootlegger bike" As a matter of fact I have a Schwinn Crome chainring sitting around right now that is a 44 tooth and I have a grinder if you just want to buy it I can do the mod for you. :mrgreen:

P8190073.jpg

P8190078.jpg

Thanks for the replies. So far I've fitted an original 1955 bicycle license plate and an electra torpedo rear light. Although I modified a vintage bullet type lense to fit it as the electra one was frankly crap (only slightly red plastic flat lens :( ) ! Thanks for the offer on the chainring. I did do a home made skiptooth on my old cruiser but that was because it had a smaller bottom bracket and i couldn't find anything I liked to fit it. I'd like to find a complete crank and chainring in chrome if possible... ideally something with good chrome that would look period when 'skipped'.
back.jpg

That is awesome! I wouldn't change the crank... Heck, I wouldn't change anything! I like how Schwinn made it look like an old Schwinn Phantom! 8)

Bikeguy7497 said:
That is awesome! I wouldn't change the crank... Heck, I wouldn't change anything! I like how Schwinn made it look like an old Schwinn Phantom! 8)
Yeah, looks sweet as is 8)

Frankthetank said:
That's a sweet bike.
Ps is that a '53 I see in the garage?
Hi Frank yesit is, thats my other love :wink: Its a Bel Air built at the Oakland plant and lived in CA for most of its life (until about 5 years ago when it came over here). The daft thing is, is that it was much harder finding the Schwinn than it was the Chevy!! :roll:
chevy.jpg

That's a beautifl chevy, I know those old Chevys like the back of my hand lol. I have a 63 impala I'll try to post a pic soon.

My grandpa still has a '57 Bel Air! I love Chevy! :D

Proctor's Metal Finishing has an original Schwinn Skip Tooth sprocket with new chrome on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-teeth-sc...571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc697cb3

He also has a dogleg crank that is period correct: http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-inch-dog...392?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbc9644d8

If it's a non Schwinn crank, it'll take a standard 24T bottom bracket. If it's a Schwinn crank, it'll need a 28T bottom bracket, both are available new. The only thing left to do would be to swap out a skip tooth hub and get a chain.

Frankthetank said:
bodge, heres a picture of my chevy. did you pick urs up in california?
013.jpg
Niiiiiiiiiiiice!
No I wish!
Mine was already in the UK but had sat in a joiners workshop for about 5 years... not forgotten, just unused(under about an inch of sawdust!). It lived on Travis AFB for some time from what I've been able to gather.
Whats the engine in yours?

Back