Schwinn Convertible ...SEX CHANGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's unanimous. The whitewalls clearly look better. I'll stick with the ones I've got until I can find a set of vintage tires (I really wanted to use those Schwinn tires). Or, I might just buy some new ones with a brick tread and dirty them up a bit.
...Thanks for the conformations, more to come!

Tire%20choices%202_zpsppzjxaxj.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to move the saddle back some with a lucky 7 post. Since I didn't happen to have one the correct size, I made one out of the post that came on the bike and a 5/8" L bolt from Fastenal. The original Schwinn post is 13/16 x 5/8 so the bolt worked just right. I heated it and changed the angle to 70 degrees instead of 90 so that the top is horizontal to the ground. After having it welded in place, I cut away the excess length of the bolt and filed the weld smooth so that hopefully it will blend in and look original at a glance.

Seat Post.jpg

Ya know Jim, I think this might turn out to be one of your most popular TRM tank build. And the tank wasn't even designed for a schwinn.

Looks cool as h tho.

It's those little touches that make a difference.
Very cool seat post.
Nice work as always TRM!

Luke.
Thanks guys.
Love every update. Great work. Can't wait to see this in person.
I'll have it at Get-A-Grip in a couple of months.:)
Ya know Jim, I think this might turn out to be one of your most popular TRM tank build. And the tank wasn't even designed for a schwinn.

Looks cool as h tho.
I have to agree Falstaff. There's something about the tank on this Schwinn that is really pushing my buttons!

You might have answered this already but what's the seat and handle bar of choice?
OK Tyler, here's the answer.:)
My choice for the seat ...I don't have yet. I want to use an original green and white 'S' seat to keep the original survivor theme going.
Like this...
1960-schwinn-hornet.jpg

There were some at your last swap that I could've bought, but at the time I had just bought the bike and I didn't know what direction I wanted to go with. I don't believe that the seat that came with it was original and it was also in bad shape so for now I'm going with a sprung saddle from my parts stash that I like.
Predictably I'll stick with the original handle bar and Green Schwinn grips that it came with.

17f20d3d-f484-4295-8aac-0f7a7fcb60d5_zpsh4eta3xt.jpg

I can always change that stuff out later, but for now this is what I'm going with. I rode it around the neighborhood today and it's very comfy with the seat moved back. It could probably be better with it raised a little also.

By the way, the wheel set in the photo is a temporary stand in for the S2s that need servicing before I put them back on. Just a few more things to do and this one will be done!

Last edited:
Good thing you're a sign painter with patience
It's interesting that you bring that up. That Schwinn logo is a straight up sign painters script. It had to have been originally designed by a sign painter. I've been using that style script for over 30 years (back when my eyes where still good).

Awesome job on this one Jim I love the way you make your conversion bikeslook like they were alway this way . If I didn't know better I would think I was looking at some thing that just rolled out of a barn some where that was a custom bike built for some rich guy 60 years ago . The matching of the vintage paint looks spot on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a great photograph of trm doing the sign painting.
This is a crazy cool build. I love trm bikes & I hate to disagree, but ad cool as this is, I dont think it really stacks up against the drag king. Just my opinion. Between the drag king being the impetus behind the tank, the dana, the fauxtina.... this schwinn is great & makes me want to buy a trm tank, but drag king is one of my all time top 5s.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

If i had been in time to chime in, i woulda Saud biggest white walls that will fit. Kudos. This schwinn is very very cool.

You need to creat a graphic that resembles an old Schwinn advertisement.

Make it look like Schwinn is endorsing your tank.
"Look boys and girls, with a Convertible tank, make all girls bikes into boys"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back