Schwinn Continental boardtracker build *DONE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have always wanted a 1920s style racing bike, But i am too cheap to buy a real one. So i have been looking for tall frame bikes that would be good for a makeover.

I think this crusty old Continental would be good for the build.

Re: Schwinn Continental boardtracker build

The tear down went well. I wasn't very patient and snapped the front quick release though :oops: . I found a mismatch pair of 26 inch wheels that I think I will use on it.

I do like me some diamond frame builds. I wanted to build the same thing you described until I figured out the challenges (mechanical and financial) of a teens or twenties bike. The biggest road block was the lack of standard and uniform parts. There were so many manufacturers back then and nobody had really settled on standard size seatposts, bottom brackets, headsets, etc. There were even chains of differing width and pitch, further complicating an use of antique parts.

I decided that a Schwinn Varisty or Continental would be a good alternative since they are cheap and plentiful. I wasn't finding one in the large frame size I needed, but instead came across an early 80s Schwinn Le Tour (which was one of a couple years they built this model in Chicago between the Japanese imports from Panasonic to having Giant build them in Taiwan). I ended up taking this more in the direction of an English style Path Racer, but the stance is somewhat similar to a board tracker. Check out my build if you like and maybe it will give you some ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65343

ALMOST RIDEABLE!! I think upside down girls handlebars will be good for the "boardtracker" look.

I'm going on a metal detecting roadtrip this weekend so I won't be able to make any progress until late Sunday.

the_undecider said:
I do like me some diamond frame builds. I wanted to build the same thing you described until I figured out the challenges (mechanical and financial) of a teens or twenties bike. The biggest road block was the lack of standard and uniform parts. There were so many manufacturers back then and nobody had really settled on standard size seatposts, bottom brackets, headsets, etc. There were even chains of differing width and pitch, further complicating an use of antique parts.

I decided that a Schwinn Varisty or Continental would be a good alternative since they are cheap and plentiful. I wasn't finding one in the large frame size I needed, but instead came across an early 80s Schwinn Le Tour (which was one of a couple years they built this model in Chicago between the Japanese imports from Panasonic to having Giant build them in Taiwan). I ended up taking this more in the direction of an English style Path Racer, but the stance is somewhat similar to a board tracker. Check out my build if you like and maybe it will give you some ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65343
Thanks for the tips. I think I will get white tires for it and leather grips.

Back