Schwinn Canti... Can you all fill in the rest?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
upload_-1.jpg

Was told it was a '55. Seems reasonable, but...
upload_-1.jpg

Rear hub us a hi-stop.
upload_-1.jpg

Front hub is a
" schwinn
approved
1 80 "
upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Whats that?
upload_-1.jpg

Rides nice.

Thanks for looking. Spray bomb is thick, but i like it for now. Bobbed fender is cool. My favorite part of the bike is where the chain isn't blue. But seriously. This is my first beehive springer, and i love it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

That bent thing is what's left of a stem shifter. The serial number should be on the left dropout, probably a letter followed by 5 or 6 digits. That'll solve the mystery.

Ill look for the serial, now that I know where. Looks like the paint is blue rattle over red brush paint. I still kinda like the bike a lot. Its all shiny. Newest looking thing i own! Heh.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

That serial number is Jan of 1978, but the head badge number is 1980. The head badge may have been replaced, but for sure the serial number wasn't redone, so 1978 is the year it was made. The front wheel, being 1980 may have been when it was redone, same year as the head badge. The bridge on the seatstays, over the rear tire, is made for a handbrake to attach, but I don't see any frame like that in the catalogs, no 5 speed gears either. But the Klunker 5 and Cruiser 5 aren't shown in the catalogs I see, and also the Spitfire may have been offered in 5 speeds. I think that bike was a 5 speed before the rear wheel was changed out. On your chain guard, unless they sanded it down completely, the model name may still show through. I would sand it very lightly to see if anything remains under there.
SpitfireSide_zpsabol1rum.jpg

Regardless, it's a chicago made Schwinn frame and springer, so it's a very good start.

The serial on the headtube will tell you when the frame was actually made; the number on the headbadge shows when the complete bike was assembled. These frames weren't hott sellers at the time; it probably sat in the warehouse for 2 years before they built and shipped it. My theory is, this is why we will see bikes that look all-original, but some of the parts don't match the catalog from the same year the frame was made. But, yeah, the rear wheel or at least the rear hub has been changed. This bike may have been a 5-speed from the factory, but maybe not. By 1980, Schwinn was on the ropes, and it was thoroughly possible that they might have grabbed some rim-brake frames to fill some c/b orders...

Latest posts

Back