Schwinn built post war funny ser#

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image_zps07d0960e.jpg

Last edited:
We'll I don't have it with me but I can't find it on any chart
As you can see the bikes post war forward facing rear dropouts. But it has a skip chain

There was a big factory fire in 1948. All of Schwinn's records from before then went up in smoke which is probably why your bike's serial number isn't on a chart.

When you find the number, post it up and we'll check it out. Is the number on the dropout or bottom bracket?

Those Schwinn serial charts are good considering the loss of records,re-use of numbers, etc. But they are far from complete. I have had at least 3 Schwinns I could not place in the charts. There are instances where the last number of one day and first number of the following day don't coincide, and at times leave huge gaps between them. Plus the stamping isn't always terribly deep, and over time letters and numbers resemble others. If you use the Angelfire chart, check out 1949, 7/14 F146384-F145902 obviously a typo, but it's the type of mistake that could cause confusion because the day before ends F145383, so if you're scanning through, you could be led to believe that 1000 numbers were skipped

I have an all original mens dx with a "c" serial # Just like the cat above me said its a '46-'47.. Re-cycle.com is a good source they break down characteristics of these bikes. The 1940s schwinnns have a different body style leading outa the neck to the bottom bar. I know nothing about female bikes I use em just for parts but check that website out its good for research.

Back