Schwinn barn find. Need I D help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have I here. S/n M13599 left rear drop out.

5u7aga4y.jpg

gydy6eqe.jpg

a7aqy7aj.jpg

Thanks for help.

1918 Ranger

August 54, looks like you have a couple more Schwinns, Post those numbers and someone here will check them too.

Agreed, probably a Hornet. The Panther came with chrome fenders in 54. Here's the catalog pics from 1954, from trfindley's webpage:

331j0ns.jpg

Wildcat said:
Agreed, probably a Hornet. The Panther came with chrome fenders in 54. Here's the catalog pics from 1954, from trfindley's webpage:

331j0ns.jpg

Thanks for the info. I guess the springer would make it a Hornet Deluxe?

1918 Ranger

I probably would restore this one. Assuming its a Hornet Deluxe, is it worth the investment to restore? Where do the hornets fall on the totem pole of rarity and value, and being sought after?

1918 Ranger

My "value" list for 55 tankers... based on what I think is more valuable

Phantoms
Panthers
Hornet Deluxe
Hornet
Streamliner

Price go up and down, depends on how bad someone wants it at the time you sell it, phantoms are still pretty strong in value as well as original panthers, condition is the main thing, the more original the better, if you plan on restoring just hope the person looking for a restored bike doesnt also think he could do a better job restoring one himself. That's most of the appeal to these bikes. A resto job that involved usually ends up costing more than it would be worth resale wise but they are awesome bikes fixed back up. Sometimes you can make more money out of a "project bike" than you can out of a restored bike depending on how good of a deal you got in the first place, if your in the hobby to make money.

Hornets had painted wheels and truss rod forks, hornet deluxe had chrome wheels and a springer fork.

Sick finds! Where do you find all your bikes?!

All over I guess. My first year in the hobby I bought a lot through EBay but this second year has solely been through Craigslist, and a half dozen friends that trade in the hobby from Nashville TN to Rogersville TN. One friend in Rogersville has been a source for many of my bikes. Thanks Scott.

This last barn pick just found me by chance through my customer at my business.

It's been a great 2 years in the hobby. !!!

Thanks for asking.

1918 Ranger

If you ever sell I may have to buy a barn find bike off of ya one day! Seems like you find a lot of goodies

Vintagebikelover24 said:
If you ever sell I may have to buy a barn find bike off of ya one day! Seems like you find a lot of goodies
Been blessed to know some good people.

Highwheelerboy25 in Maryville, Keith my painter in Maryville, CeeBee in Nashville, Scott in Rogersville, Bob in Maryville, Charles in Knoxville to name a few.

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
Maryville, ... Maryville, ... Nashville, ... Rogersville, ... Maryville, ... Knoxville to name a few.

Sounds like the nicest people live in towns ending in "ville" :mrgreen: .... I need to move :lol:

I'm With him!

CCR said:
1918 Ranger said:
Maryville, ... Maryville, ... Nashville, ... Rogersville, ... Maryville, ... Knoxville to name a few.

Sounds like the nicest people live in towns ending in "ville" :mrgreen: .... I need to move :lol:
The guy I bought the barn finds recently lives in Friendsville TN. !!!

1918 Ranger

Incorrect chainguard on that Schwinn. Looks like a Colson guard or an aftermarket but is prewar style. Also it is difficult to say if that chainring was originally on that bike. But during those years they kind of went back and forth betwwen standard and skiptooth chain setups. Maybe they just used whatever they had in the warehouse or the dealer changed it for some kid.

History lesson for the day:
Before the Revolutionary War, we were British subjects and the towns often ended on "boro" or "borough". After we defeated the British (twice) with the help of the French, many towns and cities were renamed with the French "ville" suffix in honor of the support we got from France. In New England, where there were still hardcore British patriots, you won't see many "ville's". They kept their British "borough's". Gary

Back