Schwinn 26 X 1.75 tire

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While looking over a few parts and tires I recently purchased I found I have a 26 X 1.75 tire that says "Schwinn Spitfire", "nylon, "Made in USA", and " To fit hook bead rim only" on it. I thought all Schwinn's were 1 3/4? Would someone explain? Thanks.

Schwinn not only made 26 X 1 3/4 for their S-7 rims, they made 26 X 1.75 for generic rims as well. Gary

Thanks for your response. Because it says Spitfire on the tire, does that mean some Schwinn Spitfires were sold with generic rims rather than S7?

I have what I think is a 1958 Schwinn Tornado frame D851300. I don't know for sure that it is a Tornado, because there is no chain guard or other identification. What I've found says the 1958 Tornado was a two bar like a DX and the 1959 on were twin straight lower bars. Were their other 1958's produced with the DX type frame? Is that properly referred to as a two bar? Thanks again!

Schwinn rims only took the proprietary size, yes. Middleweight Spitfires would have had these rims as well so the name being used for another product is a bit misleading.

In making a specialty tire size, they did not want to abandon the market for other bikes so they produced the generic sized Spitfire tire. Basically, their business model for tires was that they wanted to supply for everyone, while cornering the market on Schwinns so nobody else could supply for their bikes. They may have been the highest quality at the time, but boy, were they greedy.

And to maybe answer your other question--the only post-DX curved bars I know of were on youth bicycles. Your 20 and 24" bike frames had curved middle bars. The 24" twin tube Tornado would be included in this. I'd take some measurements. BB center to top of seat mast would be like 17" and the inside of the wheel-well will be like 13", or try chucking a 26" wheel (with tire) in there.

Here's a thread with one of these bikes http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=598278

Thanks for both of your responses. I had not thought about a 24". I checked and you are correct that it is 17" to the top of the seat mast. But, inside the front fork and the rear wheel well is a full 14" up to the fenders (that are still on the bike). I have a 1939 Men's Standard with tank. This looks like a "Double Bar Roadster" from that era with a straight, single, lower bar. I know that after '58 they had twin lower straight (or slightly curved) bars and others like the American, Speedster, Tiger, Typhoon, etc. had cantilever twin bars. My biggest question is did any other model in 1958 look like a "Double Bar Roadster"? Thanks again.

Sorry I am asking many questions and haven't posted a photo, I will soon. I checked the bike again and it has a bolt on kickstand. If you search SchwinnTornado on this sight there are references to a 1958 Tornado having a bolt on kickstand and a single lower bar. Thanks. Craig

Back