Schwinn 1950s Spitfire Skiptooth loose Chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a skiptooth chain for my 1950 Schwinn. when I put in on it seems like its a bit too long. Its loose and makes it difficult to pedal. I could really use some help on hpw to shorten chain or any other suggestions. Thanks

You will need a chain breaker tool, but you will have to modify it for it to work on the skiptooth chain. Will try to take some pictures tomorrow

Chain-tool.jpg

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/Images/Pro ... n-tool.jpg

i couldn't find mine but heres a picture of one of the same.

you see those two pieces of metal that stick up where the chain goes?
cut them off, and you will be able to use it for a skiptooth chain and a regular chain also.

You don't have to have the tool, you can improvise. I used a piece of scrap 2x4, drilled a hole slightly larger than the size of the link pin then drilled the same size hole in a piece of scrap angle iron (like an old bed frame, just needs to be something fairly thick). Place the angle iron on top of the 2x4 with the holes lined up, place link on the angle iron with the pin lined up over the hole and drive the pin out with a suitable size punch (I filed down a nail to get it to the right diameter).

Yes you can do it like that if the chain is already off the bike. I wouldn't want a 2x4 or a piece of metal close to my paint

I got a chain tool for $9 at my local shop. It is black metal, not painted. The guides that hold the link are slimmer and will fit a skiptooth. Also it's the only kind I haven't bent. Those silver ones never hold up for me.

Back