School me on Speedometers!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really fancy putting a speedo on my Schwinn cruiser but am unsure as to which one would be right. I want a 'cable from the front wheelhub' type rather than a 'wheel on the tyre' type. Am i right in thinking that a donor speedo will have to come from another 26 inch wheel bike? I've seen a couple of the Rollfast ones on ebay that I really like the look of but not sure if they'd work. Any help gratefully received :mrgreen:

The ratio is in the cable drive/hub gear to make the speed-o measure the MPH semi correctly.

You need a 26" hub gear and cable.The speed-o head unit could be anything.

'Semi correct' :mrgreen: love it!
Are the cable assemblies available seperate to the head unit either new or second hand?

Yeah, the drive units with cables turn up but it seems that everybody needs one or five so they can usually cost a good few bucks if you need the older, metal-wrapped style. If your cruiser is something newer, then the plastic wrapped ones can be had cheaply as they were used through the road bike years and into today. http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/pc-3934-222-sunlite-speedometer.aspx

If you're looking for a Schwinn cruiser, Stewart Warner Cadet speedos are classic, also Crown speedos are the two that pop into my head that look good on anything from the 40s through the 60s. Since Rollfast was another bike brand, I personally wouldn't put it on a Schwinn :wink: but I know which one you're thinking and the Crown ones are virtually the same, just with green accents.

I think Hemmings Motor News has vendors that make Speed-O cables for Classic/Antique Cars...

I would guess that they "should" be able to make one for a Bicycle.

I dunno,I never had to inquire about it.

IIRC, Ive seen the older style speedos on the old exercise bikes, they get tossed, garage saled or even Craig's Listed pretty cheap, probably cheaper than just buying the parts you are looking for. Even if the read isnt right the face indicated speed will be a representation to you; ie, if you check it and it says 20mph when you are really going only 15, so what, then you know (and think how cool you will think that is).

You see speedos in various forms all over the place, especially on eBay, etc. The new cable-driven speedometers that are made in China seem fragile or just poorly made. The older Schwinn accessory units were made by in France by Huret, and you can still find them online. I believe that they used a unique speedo cable that wasn't interchangeable with other brands, or so I've been told.

The Huret/Schwinn unit I put on my '61 American came from a '72 Varsity that I paid $35 for. The gear drive unit for it was mashed pretty bad, but I was able to pick up one for a 26" wheelsize on the 'Bay. I used the speedo cable that came with the head unit, although it's a little long for my application. Aside from having to lubricate the cable and head unit, it had so far worked quite well...

Automatic Trans Fluid is good for lubing a Speed-O cable AFTER you de-grease it.

Carb Cleaner or Brake Cleaner works real good! (gasoline works too)

Back