Saved from the scrap bin.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I have seen this style frame before but can't member then manufacturer. Also for reference the drop outs have incremented marks. Story behind it. I work at a bike co-op and I'm one of the only ones who love the old bikes. One of my friends saw this one come in and because of the seized seat post it probably would have been scraped but he handed it off to me to try to save because he knows I love them. Also any tips for a super seized seat post would be much appreciated.

VHBvQ.jpg

6Lv4P.jpg

Good call! Seems like there are two companies that made frames with those style chain and seat stays. Monark (England) and Monarch (Chicago). Monark made some aluminum and some steel and Monarch made only steel. This one is steel so i'm amusing it's a Monarch (Chicago) any ideas on further identification.

From what I read the companies weren't related but Monarchs are older (starting in the 1890's era). I can't find a serial number anywhere. It looks like it was riveted on the the bottom bracket shell. Well closer than I was before. Thanks for the help. Can't wait to start the build on this on!

Black Crown Tattoo said:
I haves girls frame I did not know who made it the plate rivited to the bottom makes it monark?

Pretty much, they were the main (and I think only American) company to use them. The OP's frame is postwar, and no newer than 1954, last of the Monark ballooners. As for a stuck seat post, PB Blaster! Soak, heat, and repeat! -Adam

Back